What's new

Marantz SR-6200 vs Yamaha RX-V1200 (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hello all. If any of you have been tracking the thread S&V tests the Marantz SR7200 you will recognize me as one of the people that had extensive problems with the new X200 line of receivers from Marantz. Luckily I had purchased from a reputable, authorized dealer, with great customer service, and after trying three different 6200s, I was able to trade in the receiver for the Yamaha RX-V1200. Now normally, I wouldn't try to do an outright comparison of these two models, because they are roughly $200 apart in MSRP, but since in my situation, one was a direct replacement for the other, I think the comparison is valid. So, on to the comparison.
Sound quality: When evaluating the sound quality I am not taking into account the background noise issues of the Marantz, because otherwise that would mean that there would be absolutely no contest. You can read about the noise issues of the Marantz in the other thread. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum14/HTML/044895.html
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Charles,
Thanks for your insight on this. Would you say the Marantz's comparatively poor sound is due to a flaw in the unit(s) you tried, or do you think it is the overall design, and something that cannot be corrected by beefing up the x200 quality control?
Also, comparing the overall sound, many have said the Marantz is "warm and detailed," while the Yamaha is "bright and detailed." Can you comment on any subjective difference you noticed in the presentation of these two receivers?
Speaking from my own experience, the 6200 blew my low-end Yamaha RX-V390 away, but given the price difference that was to be expected. I may end up auditioning the 1200 myself as a possible replacement should these problems not be cleared up by Marantz.
[Edited last by ChrisAG on October 31, 2001 at 06:50 PM]

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, like I said. On a purely sound quality basis, *NOT* counting the background noise, the Marantz was very good. As far as warm vs. bright, this was a huge concern for me, since I have Paradigm speakers, and has steered me away from Yamahas in the past. I do NOT think that the 1200 is too bright. If anything, the ability to run my bass to both the mains and sub, makes the Yamaha sound fuller and warmer than the Marantz... something that I really did not expect. I almost thought the brightness would be something I would have to live with, with the Yamaha, but that is not the case. I would say that had the 1200 been out at the same time as the 6200 I probably would have bought the 1200 in the first place, since I would have had the chance to demo them side by side. I didn't even bother the demo the RX-V1000, since it didnt have the features I wanted. I have not heard the RX-V390, but the 1200 SRP is $900 which I should hope also sounds better than the 390
wink.gif
All I know, is I had never given Yamaha a chance in the past due to the fact that I felt their DSPs where gimmicky, and that I had heard they were bright. Now I am looking at reccomending the RX-V420 or HTR-5440 to my brother.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Apparently the newer Yamaha's are much less "bright" then the older ones...some have even said they have a "warm" character.
And Yamaha is TOP NOTCH in terms of reliablity.
Congrats and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks