What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Manhunt: Unabomber (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am surprised no one has started a thread for this limited series on Discovery. I think it's their very first scripted series and it's very good. Both Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany are very good. So far Worthington, as the profiler most responsible for catching the unabomber is dominating the series in time on screen and quality of performance.

The series likes to bounce back and forward in time and this has caused me some confusion. To make matters a little worse, Discovery has encoded the show so that every episode looks like a first run to my DTV DVR. Also most of the episodes don't have a season and episode title.

I know that dramas often compress events and combine characters, but this production really gives me the impression one guy was most responsible. The FBI is also portrayed as a gang of idiots, to be frank. Yes it's easy to look back in hindsight and criticize, but the FBI goes from thinking Fitz (the Worthington character) is way off base to thinking he's on to something, and than back to way off base.

We've only seen three episodes, but I'm left wondering how the FBI caught anybody.

Highly recommended.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying it. Not particularly pleased that they started with a two hour episode, only to repeat them, split into one hour shows, so you tune in thinking they're new episodes. Hope the next one coming up Tuesday is officially a "new" episode.

Like Worthington in his role. Doing a pretty good job at losing his Aussie/Kiwi accent. :P

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have it recorded on my dvr but I haven't watched it yet.
I wouldn't delete anything just in case, but if it's what I got, episodes 2&3 are repeats. :wacko: It's a great show, just feel it was a really cheap way to start things off, trick your audience into thinking they're new episodes when they're not.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I completely forgot about this show. I guess I'll just have to catch a later rerun of it.

I read several of the books which covered the unabomber, from the perspective of some of the original profilers on the case.

I was more fascinated by Ted Kaczynsky's background, and his "lost years" from the late-1960s to his arrest which was very little documented. (ie. After Ted resigned his math professor job at UC Berkeley).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Pretty decent show so far. I was really young when this was happening, had no idea he had killed and injured so many people. Never even knew he tried to take down a Boeing 727.

Didn't know about the Vietnam war. Parents, teachers, priests, kept us so sheltered from the real world at that time.

Don't know if he's even still alive, but he got life in prison, never a chance at parole, removed from society.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Started this on Netflix and have seen 2 episodes. The story is fascinating and never knew about its details. I had only heard about it in other movies and series.

The editing of the series so far is horrendous and absolutely awful. They show the bomber in the second episode? Where is the sense of discovery and suspense?

I seriously want to ask, what's wrong with film-making these days with all the jumps in time back and forth. Seriously, you are not clever and it doesn't make your movie smart or intelligent. Just tell the story. This aint Memento.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks