3D Blu-ray Review Man in the Dark 3D Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I would agree with that.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    First let me say that I violated my vow never to purchase from TT, I dislike their business model, to put it mildly. I bought this movie because…well I'm a 3D whore. I hope that casting aspersions upon myself does not violate forum rules. :)

Ron's comments I mostly agree with. The transfer looked great. There was good 3D depth. The in-your-face factor, was however, disappointing. If I did not already know it, I would guess that this was an early 3D film and the film makers were fumbling around while learning the craft. I thought it particularly bothersome when the projecting surgical instruments would just disappear as a cut was made.

I was surprised how much I disliked the film in general, even after being prepared for the fact that this was not a top film noir. I wouldn't even give this film credit for being mid-level. I'd give it a C- and I'm being generous at that. The acting was generally mediocre or poor. Even a top actor like Edmund O'Brien didn't do that well. This movie was so light weight that the script must have been written on tissue paper.

I know it was shot in a hurry, but I'm just judging what I saw on the screen. Just not much there. Had the 3D projections been better, I don't think I would have liked it any better.

All IMHO of course.

3. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    The Mad Magician next please.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    Man in the Dark is a pretty awful film, and certainly not representive of good noir.A gimmick like 3d doesn't help.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I had a lot of fun with this… it kinda pushed the limits of what my 3D TV can do, so there was a little ghosting and whatnot, but I think that was absolutely my equipment as opposed to a disc problem. The movie itself - not exactly mind-blowing, but a fun b-movie nonetheless. I don't think this was shown at the Film Forum in NYC a few years ago when they ran a three week marathon of 50s 3D titles in dual 35mm, but it would have fit right in with a lot of the titles shown then. Well worth the $30 - hope Twilight Time keeps the vintage 3D coming!

6. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Watched it last night. The in-your-face scenes worked fine for me. I could reach out and touch them. I freeze-framed them and they all looked fine except for the spider which was a bit blurry. The 1.33:1 image is 93 by 70 inches from my Panasonic AE8000 front projector. I sit about 14 feet from the wall - no screen and it looks great!

7. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I now have a 3-D projector and gave this a spin today. Although the film itself doesn't improve on a second viewing I was surprised by how much more I enjoyed it in 3-D. To answer my own question it compares very well with The Big Heat.