What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, for the most part, the only real problem with the outward projections are that they are too fast. The gunfight during the car chase works best, though a couple of the surgery shots work pretty well.
I would agree with that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Just finished watching Man In The Dark.

It's a fairly short film, coming in at 70 minutes.

Not a bad film. Not a great film. I sort of laughed at the exaggerated level of dialogue. The
effects look as if they were done on a shoe-string budget. You can clearly see the wire on
a bird that comes shooting outwards, and later, attached to a crawling spider.

….

On the plus side, the quality of this transfer is just fantastic. Beautiful, razor-sharp B&W
imagery. Nice black levels. The film has been immaculately cleaned.

As far as the 3D is concerned, it excels in its level of depth, thanks in part to its placement
of objects. Depth wise, this is one of the best classic 3D releases I have seen.

However, as far as forward projection is concerned, it fails for me.
First let me say that I violated my vow never to purchase from TT, I dislike their business model, to put it mildly. I bought this movie because…well I'm a 3D whore. I hope that casting aspersions upon myself does not violate forum rules. :)

Ron's comments I mostly agree with. The transfer looked great. There was good 3D depth. The in-your-face factor, was however, disappointing. If I did not already know it, I would guess that this was an early 3D film and the film makers were fumbling around while learning the craft. I thought it particularly bothersome when the projecting surgical instruments would just disappear as a cut was made.

I was surprised how much I disliked the film in general, even after being prepared for the fact that this was not a top film noir. I wouldn't even give this film credit for being mid-level. I'd give it a C- and I'm being generous at that. The acting was generally mediocre or poor. Even a top actor like Edmund O'Brien didn't do that well. This movie was so light weight that the script must have been written on tissue paper.

I know it was shot in a hurry, but I'm just judging what I saw on the screen. Just not much there. Had the 3D projections been better, I don't think I would have liked it any better.

All IMHO of course.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Man in the Dark is a pretty awful film, and certainly not representive of good noir.A gimmick like 3d doesn't help.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I had a lot of fun with this… it kinda pushed the limits of what my 3D TV can do, so there was a little ghosting and whatnot, but I think that was absolutely my equipment as opposed to a disc problem. The movie itself - not exactly mind-blowing, but a fun b-movie nonetheless. I don't think this was shown at the Film Forum in NYC a few years ago when they ran a three week marathon of 50s 3D titles in dual 35mm, but it would have fit right in with a lot of the titles shown then. Well worth the $30 - hope Twilight Time keeps the vintage 3D coming!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
Just finished watching Man In The Dark.

However, as far as forward projection is concerned, it fails for me.

There are a few blatant attempts to move objects outwards at the audience. They include
things like surgical tools and a lit cigar. However, the objects never really seemed to break
the confines of the screen, and in an attempt to do so, became too blurred to have any
profound effect on the viewer. Faces of characters seem to poke themselves outwards more
effectively than the objects that are purposely lunged forward.

The only reason I am harping on this, is because someone in another thread was raving
about the "In Yo' Face" aspect of Man In The Dark. Sorry...it just wasn't that good, or at
least, as effective as it should have been.
Watched it last night. The in-your-face scenes worked fine for me. I could reach out and touch them. I freeze-framed them and they all looked fine except for the spider which was a bit blurry. The 1.33:1 image is 93 by 70 inches from my Panasonic AE8000 front projector. I sit about 14 feet from the wall - no screen and it looks great!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Keith Cobby said:
I cannot decide whether to get this. I have seen the film (it has its merits but is not a great film) but do not expect to have 3-D capability until next year. How does the image quality compare with The Big Heat which is my benchmark for a b & w blu-ray from TT.

I now have a 3-D projector and gave this a spin today. Although the film itself doesn't improve on a second viewing I was surprised by how much more I enjoyed it in 3-D. To answer my own question it compares very well with The Big Heat.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I was thinking that "The Man in the Dark" was going to be a pass for me.
Well, I purchased this during the Nov/Dec 2016 Twilight Time half-price sale at Screen Archives.

A real surprise and a real bargain. I enjoyed this movie far more than all the reviews lead me to believe that I would.

That roller coaster fight is really something, yet all I ever seemed to read or hear was someone complain about the shots with the riders in the roller coaster seats not having the background in 3D -- A real non-issue for me. Those few shots are still in 3D, and the entire roller coaster battle sequence is really great stuff.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Regretfully Man in the Dark did completely sell out at Twilight Time as I was a little slow to order this but I did eventually find a new disc :) Triple yay!

We projected this up on a 8ft screen, the film print looked immaculate and pin sharp with some good 3D. I do really enjoy having the opportunity to see not just these classic 3D releases but also the stars that were in them in 3D which for me is like having them step into my home cinema. This 1953 film was very much a success here particularly when the car came flying out the screen causing my wife to scream. 10/10 on the scream front.;)

Great to see Ted De Corsia in 3D, Edmond O'Brien and delightful Audrey Totter wow!

Thank you Twilight Time for this great release we loved every frame of it.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Man in the Dark 3D has not sold old and has always been available at Screen Archives Entertainment since its original release by TT in January 2014. Granted it is on the low quantity list since it's down to under 400 copies of the original 3,000 pressing but is still available. I don't know why I keep seeing posts that it has sold out but that is misinformation.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Er.. As I said Twilight Time had sold out, they kindly sent me a splendid email informing me. On the upside it shows classic 3d has a healthy market.
Must dash its time watch it again!

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Yes, the Twilight Time site does not have current stock on very many of their own titles but that still doesn't mean the titles are sold out. They are available and always have been available at Screen Archives Entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks