What's new

Magnepan mmg w / c: Can HK AVR330 drive them? (1 Viewer)

Just heard a magnepan 5.1 setup (not the mmg w/c's) over the weekend and loved them. Does anyone have an informed opinion whether an HK 330 can drive magnepan mmg w / c speakers to loud but not insane levels? HK has a reputation for building robust amplifiers, but I don't believe its spec'd for 4 ohm speakers. The Maggies are 4 ohms and relatively inefficient. In a perfect world, I'd be able to justify a more robust amplifier or separates. But the world isn't perfect.

Thanks for your opinions.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
It might but not well. Back when I was running maggies off a reciever (Denon 3300) it did very well with 2-3 maggies and some higher ohm surrounds but when I went to 5 maggies it really showed its limits. I'm not sure though how the HK compares to the Denon (it benched at 83 *5 in the S*V tests)

Thanks for the response - since posting this, I found an s&v review which said the hk330 goes into protect mode when driving multichannel 4 ohm loads at 25 watts, although it did go on to say "real world dynamic signals presented no problem with these low-impedence loads". Oh well.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jon you might consider trying to find a budget 5 channel amp. The Harmon Kardon PA5800 is usually around $300 on the used market and are solid amps that don't have a problem driving 4 ohm loads all day long. There's a few other budget amps available as well if you keep an eye on Audiogon etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks