What's new

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro on DVD and and Blue courtesy of Discotek! (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Found this in a couple of spots - http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2014/03/lupin-iii-castle-of-cagliostro-discotek.html

cagliostro+dvd+bd.jpg

And - it's got the Streamline dub! Sweet! Yes they call him Wolf, but it doesn't have the completely unnecessary swearing of the Manga dub and frankly the voice acting is much better. Carl Macek gets a lot of stick (unfairly, in my opinion) for what he did to Robotech, but the Streamline dubs were really well done. I still love the old school dubs of Golgo 13, Vampire Hunter D, and Lensman (and come on - cheesy tho it is, how can you not love Fist of the North Star's dub).

So getting the Lupin voice that I grew up with thrills me.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Although I agree with you that the criticism aimed at Macek for Robotech is unfair--for a variety of reasons--I'm not so sure I agree with you on the quality of the other Streamline dubs. Still, it was virgin territory and I suppose he did the best that could be expected at the time. And those dubs DID win a lot of converts to anime in that make-or-break period of 1989-1992.

The first time I saw CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO was at a tiny theater in the East Village (Manhattan) and I'd brought my nine-year-old daughter along because I'd already taken her to see LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY a couple of years earlier and she'd seen MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO and KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE on tape (one in Japanese with no translation and one in Japanese with fan-subs), so she was already well-versed in Miyazaki Land. I asked the cashier if there were a children's ticket price and she said no, because the movie was in Japanese with English subtitles. I simply told them, "She can read." Still, no children's discount. In the years since, of course, the notion that children would be dissuaded from seeing a piece of Japanese animation because it was subtitled and not dubbed has become quite a quaint one. Just ask Eric Beckman at the New York International Children's Film Festival if young audiences today are dissuaded by subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks