What's new

Los Angeles is on strike! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Can someone tell me why it's better to not go to a grocery store the isn't on strike? How does it help the picketers to go to a non-union store?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I guess it goes towards not supporting a store that has labor conflicts with the striking employees. I fully agree that the employees shouldn't have their benefits reduced, etc. They're not asking for anything more but rather they want things to stay the same.

But as far as I can tell the stores have no interest in what the employees want(indicated by the lack of any talks) and they're probably satisfied with just hiring new people that would accept the reduced benefits and/or wages. So basically I see this thing lasting a long time.

Thank god for that hippie grocery store Trader Joes! ;)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
One problem Gary, I can no longer get to Trader Joes except through the kindness of folks with cars. I heavily rely on LA public transportation to get just about anywhere I want to, mostly this means grocery shopping at Trader Joes, new movies at the Grove (hey I can get a ticket for 5.25 from the USC ticket office, that's the same as the cheepo theatre next to USC), and get to movies/events in Hollywood. IT's not life shattering like the many many people that need the transportation system to live, but I'm very disapointed I can't go to the Egyptian for hte David Lean festival going on right now, I'd planned on seeing all the double features (one going on right now as I type) as well as Zhivago this weekend. I hate to miss seeing rare films from my favorite director on the big screen in a festival I've been looking forward to for more than three months and moreso than something like Return of the King. :frowning:

I hope hope hope hope this bus strike ends soon!!!!!!!!!!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I feel your pain, bro. I must admit the only time I use the RTD bus is when my car is in the shop and within the past month my car has been in the shop an awful lot so I had been using the bus. I'd tell the bus driver that if he sees me he knows my car is at the mechanic. So I'm glad I got everything worked out before this thing hit.

Anyway from what I heard on the news this morning it's possible that MTA drivers could go back to work as soon as Sunday. As far as the grocery strike though that's another story. There seems to be no end in sight for that one. Hope the picketters have comfortable shoes because it looks like they'll be marching back and forth for a long time!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Is this set of grocery strikes still going on? It's odd in that it is affecting the distribution chains up here. I got a tub of lite margarine yesterday at a Safeway, and it was labeled "Vons".

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The grocery-workers' strikes are still in effect. However, the MTA and the mechanics' union reached a tentative agreement yesterday to submit the dispute to nonbinding arbitration. As of last night, the buses and trains are rolling again. The working poor can at last once again greet the drivers as they sneer at the riders. MTA, in all its generosity, is providing free "service" through Saturday. It should be free for the remainder of the freaking year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks