What's new

Looking for seperate prepro that does 2 channel well ,~$1500 new or used. (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Another vote for the Soundstage - I recently picked up a mint Soundstage w/ the Upgrade off Audiogon. I have listened to every prepro Ricky has owned, and the Aragon was the ONLY one that I liked enough to want to put into my home system.

For two-channel it will be VERY hard to beat as this prepro was based on Aragon's Aurum (sp?) stereo pre - which was a mini legend of its time.

For HT it is equally impressive. Best vocals (center channel especially) I have heard, plus excellent separation and processing. IMO it would be nearly impossible for me to get "better" sound for the $ I spent.

Hope this helps.

Rich B.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Another vote for the Soundstage - I recently picked up a mint Soundstage w/ the Upgrade off Audiogon. I have listened to every prepro Ricky has owned, and the Aragon was the ONLY one that I liked enough to want to put into my home system.

For two-channel it will be VERY hard to beat as this prepro was based on Aragon's Aurum (sp?) stereo pre - which was a mini legend of its time.

For HT it is equally impressive. Best vocals (center channel especially) I have heard, plus excellent separation and processing. IMO it would be nearly impossible for me to get "better" sound for the $ I spent.

Hope this helps.

Rich B.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I have done abit of research of each and every component mentioned in this thread.

So far the Aragon Soundstage , NAD and the B&K seem like they will be best matches for my Klipsch Reference speakers.

Say , I need some quick advice...I can get a Krell HTS locally for $1250 ...how are these for 2 channel?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I have done abit of research of each and every component mentioned in this thread.

So far the Aragon Soundstage , NAD and the B&K seem like they will be best matches for my Klipsch Reference speakers.

Say , I need some quick advice...I can get a Krell HTS locally for $1250 ...how are these for 2 channel?

Leo

Second Unit
Here's another vote for the NAD T163 from a NAD owner. Gorgeous 2-channel audio.

Leo

Second Unit
Here's another vote for the NAD T163 from a NAD owner. Gorgeous 2-channel audio.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i can't vouch for the krell personally, but i know aragon used to be referred to as "poor man's krell". what poor man would drop $4k on a pre-pro is beyond me, but i didn't coin the term.

kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i can't vouch for the krell personally, but i know aragon used to be referred to as "poor man's krell". what poor man would drop $4k on a pre-pro is beyond me, but i didn't coin the term.

kevin t

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
EAD Ovation+ . Best of the lot listed above. 2-channel is superb.
Used could be found for $1500-1800. The Ovation+, or Signature, is one of the best pre/pros for musicality you can have the pleasure of listening to.

BOK

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
EAD Ovation+ . Best of the lot listed above. 2-channel is superb.
Used could be found for $1500-1800. The Ovation+, or Signature, is one of the best pre/pros for musicality you can have the pleasure of listening to.

BOK

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
I can vouch for the excellent sound quality of preamps such as the Aragon, Anthem, and Sunfire pieces. The 2-channel performance of such preamp as the Lexicon, some others are on the digital sounding side. Still good however just a little stale sounding.

Thomas Tur

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Turner
I can vouch for the excellent sound quality of preamps such as the Aragon, Anthem, and Sunfire pieces. The 2-channel performance of such preamp as the Lexicon, some others are on the digital sounding side. Still good however just a little stale sounding.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Welp I won an Aragon Soundstage on Ebay for $890 last week however the seller has no feedback and is pretty flaky...not answering my emails promptly and not answering them very well.

I am hoping it works out because you guys got me all hyped up over the Soundstage. :)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Welp I won an Aragon Soundstage on Ebay for $890 last week however the seller has no feedback and is pretty flaky...not answering my emails promptly and not answering them very well.

I am hoping it works out because you guys got me all hyped up over the Soundstage. :)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
So what sort of difference do you guys think I will notice moving up from my Yamaha RX-V3300 to the Aragon Soundstage?

The Yamaha is not exactly a piece of crap in the pre section as it does use Burr Brown DACs on the mains.

Now here is one I cannot figure out...just how does the pre-amp effect the sound if your just feeding it analog inputs such as a CD player that already has nice sounding DACs or an SACD player via the 5.1 inputs?

Why I ask is because alot of my listening lately has been thru my Denon 2200s onboard SACD and DVD-A decoders and to be honest it sounds about the same if not a tad harsher than if I used a digital cable and let my Yamaha do the work.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
So what sort of difference do you guys think I will notice moving up from my Yamaha RX-V3300 to the Aragon Soundstage?

The Yamaha is not exactly a piece of crap in the pre section as it does use Burr Brown DACs on the mains.

Now here is one I cannot figure out...just how does the pre-amp effect the sound if your just feeding it analog inputs such as a CD player that already has nice sounding DACs or an SACD player via the 5.1 inputs?

Why I ask is because alot of my listening lately has been thru my Denon 2200s onboard SACD and DVD-A decoders and to be honest it sounds about the same if not a tad harsher than if I used a digital cable and let my Yamaha do the work.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Kevin, BTW the reason I did not go with the Krell is because of its lack of 5.1 inputs for SACD/DVD-A...plus from what you have said and what I have read the Aragon is going to have alot more features and set-up power.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Kevin, BTW the reason I did not go with the Krell is because of its lack of 5.1 inputs for SACD/DVD-A...plus from what you have said and what I have read the Aragon is going to have alot more features and set-up power.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Soundstage owners, can you guys direct me to any software updates and set-up information? I'd like to start gathering information etc. before getting my Soundstage.

Is there anything in particular I should know when setting up this unit?

Thanks
James

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Soundstage owners, can you guys direct me to any software updates and set-up information? I'd like to start gathering information etc. before getting my Soundstage.

Is there anything in particular I should know when setting up this unit?

Thanks
James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks