What's new

Longmire - A&E (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Longmire Season 3 -- approaching the end of the season and not a single post. I'm really a bit shocked.

All I can say is, this is one mean little town. Overall I really enjoy the writing on this show and the episode with
Vic taken hostage was just incredible

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, Stormare was great, playing a nutso-paranoid Ruby Ridge-type.

Love the fact that they're going in an unexpected direction with Branch's hunt for his shooter -- that it's likely just all in his head, and that they're not gonna pull the, "Oh, he's really alive, Branch was right the entire time!"-card out at the last moment.

He's really deteriorated into a psychotic hot mess as the season has gone on.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Longmire Season 3 -- approaching the end of the season and not a single post. I'm really a bit shocked.
Yeah, it doesn't get much discussion on the HTF (obviously. :) ) I'm a pretty big fan of this show, primarily due to the work of Robert Taylor. Having said that, I do think the casting of the show, in addition to Taylor, is pretty solid and I wish Cassidy Freeman had more screen time. I really enjoy the cinematography of the show and think it is one of the stronger series currently airing in this department. They do some interesting things with composition, perspective, and lighting on this show with strong use of shadows and contrast. Last season's episode 7 "Sound and Fury" was a nice film noir homage with strong camerawork to match.

I haven't really cared for the subplot of Branch riding the crazy train this season and I hope the David Ridges storyline gets resolved this year. Vic and Sean being taken hostage was a pretty intense episode, although I found the resolution to be a bit contrived. Someone was joking on the web about the murder per capita rate for Absaroka County. I guess a fictional county can have an unduly high murder rate. :)

Edit: Going back to page one, I guess I'm repeating myself a bit.

- Walter.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Along with The Glades, I'd thought about taking a chance to watch this since it first premiered. With it being on Netflix* and having gone through the 4 seasons of The Glades** I'm now halfway through season 1.

I'm liking the characters, and I did notice right away that Robert looked a whole lot like Brett Favre :); almost distracting. And while I often found Starbuck annoying on BSG, I like Katee's character here.

Not a whole lot of inter-season arches going on, but enough questions to wanting to see how they turn out. The locale and inclusion of the native Americans component adds a nice flavor to the typical murder mystery genre.

I hope to add more thoughts as I get deeper into the show. And perhaps I'll get caught up to actually watch new episodes on A&E. There's going to be a season 4, right?! :)

* - I think through Netflix (and other online services) is how shows like this could build an audience. Netflix has like what? 60 million subscribers now? I think shows like this, once the season is over, should get their episodes to Netflix as soon as possible. Once people take a chance and get hooked, if the show is still on, then they'll most likely start tuning in to the network (in this case, A&E) to watch.

** - good show. Got a bit formulaic, but the characters were cool and they need to have at least a 2 hr 'movie' to wrap it up; my prediction is that USA's Satisfaction won't make it past a season, so hopefully that will come about,

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
The reason I haven't post about this show, or many in general, is I spend more time on Facebook and Twitter discussing them. Old style forums like this are really dead compared to the thousands discussing a show on those social media sites. Also, you are not imposed by the STRICT rules this web site has for discussing religion or politics of said shows.

In any regard, for those few posting, I too REALLY enjoy this show and think this and Hell on Wheels are the two best Summer shows on air. They also hold well against Fall shows, but they have more time to tell a story since these two only air 12.

I like the progression of the characters, plots and the acting I think is quite well played by most all major roles. The Vic story line of the bond between her and Longmire. Bottom line is it's one of the few shows I truly enjoy and would recommend.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched the finale earlier this evening. Thought that Walt covering for himself and Henry was a bit weak, although I did like the inherent humor of them juggling who has the answer for why there are two shovels.

I can't believe the season is already over. It seems like it just started. They certainly left things hanging with that final sequence with Branch and his dad. Wonder how that played out? Did they go there? Guess we'll have to wait until next summer.

Another solid season of a show that I really enjoy.

- Walter.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoyed the season and hope it gets renewed for another.Interestingly that part with Walt covering at the grave was cut from the later showing.As far as Branch goes, I rather like the character and deep down he have a lot of respect for Walt. Let's hope his dad didn't get the drop on him.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly that part with Walt covering at the grave was cut from the later showing.
Yeah, I read over at DVD Talk in their Longmire thread that later showings are cut (for time?) Doesn't make any sense to me, but in any event I always record the first showing. Hopefully the show is renewed for season 4. Wouldn't mind seeing Walt go after Jacob Nighthorse next year. (Depending upon how the scene with Branch and his dear dad plays out that might be a real possibility.)

- Walter.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Is any of the stuff on the TV show based on stories from the books? I did watch the finale so I want to find out if I could spoil things for myself by looking at the books too much.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
My wife and I love this show. Great season finale. Hopefully, it will be renewed for a 4th season although I've read some reports that its fate is unsure (last weeks episode got a 0.5 rating). Hopefully, A&E will renew but I've been burned by them before.....they cancelled "The Glades" last year after a cliffhanger season finale.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Yup me too - really enjoy this series and hope it gets renewed for a fourth season. Good storylines, real characters, good acting, beautiful scenery and heart :). In my view it's head and shoulders above a lot of the much more "visible" drivel on other stations.

Regards,

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
That was a GREAT story and season finale for sure. As I said before, it's a quality show and I can't believe it doesn't have much better ratings. I like it for many reasons, if only because it's not the typical mindless crap that's on most networks.

On Twitter, Facebook and some article blogs, most feel the show will almost certainly be renewed. We learned a lot of good details in the season finale:

1. Branch's Dad was really the one who had Walt's wife killed.

2. Branch's Dad doesn't just do business rarely with Nighthorse, but is a partner.

3. Branch's Dad wants total control of the town. "like they use to have. like it should be".

4. Branch's Dad was hoping his son would be the Sheriff so he could run things and they could do what they wanted. That's why he supported him, to gain control and cover up "problems" when they came up with his "business".

5. Branch's Dad may be involved in "transporting" or "manufacturing" more than just normal materials (i.e. drugs).

Branch is most likely the one dead I believe due to one significant fact. We see Walt pause when the one rifle shot rang out, then he turned and saw the owl. The show ended with the eyes of the owl and in the Indian culture that was has spiritual meaning. For those that did not pick up on that, it means death and symbolic like a major life transition. Walt would be lead to believe Branch was crazy and also wouldn't know that his Father was his wife's killer. Only in the end will Walt figure it out, most likely to great peril of Vic or his daughter for a final showdown.

The ending was quite chilling and some great acting and dialog. It's a modern day western that I have truly enjoyed and hope they continue for at least several more years. I still say if you like this show you should watch Hell on Wheels.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Did this final episode end abruptly? Branch and dad are talking and we learn dad is not a nice man. But my dvr recording just stopped right there. No end credits. I think it stopped where dad says he did it all for family. Was there more?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Johnny Angell said:
Did this final episode end abruptly? Branch and dad are talking and we learn dad is not a nice man. But my dvr recording just stopped right there. No end credits. I think it stopped where dad says he did it all for family. Was there more?
The episode ran 10 minutes longer than usual.....you missed A LOT...but do u want to know or do u want to watch it (I think you can stream it on A&E's website)?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:

Oh yes, there was most certainly more.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
You missed the last ten minutes when the Russian's attach?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
David Norman said:
Oh yes, there was most certainly more.
Finally able to record a repeat, though it was only an hour. Here's what happened:Branch tells his father he didn't want to be sheriff that way, through murder. Father tricks Branch by launching a skeet. We cut to Longmire and hears a gunshot. So, did father shoot Branch or vice versa? I'm betting Branch shot his dad, when he realized what was going to happen. With the weird way he's acted, that could be a problem for him.
Did I miss anything? And what is this bullshit of of cutting time from later broadcasts? They are meant for folks who couldn't watch the first, I don't think of them as repeats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks