What's new

Lionsgate, Studiocanal To Distribute Miramax Library Titles (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The key word in this is "distribute." LGF has to play the hand they're dealt, meaning that they will simply encode and duplicate whatever masters Miramax sees fit to provide. As far as LGF's in-house titles go, their output has been decent, and the issues mostly relate to titles where they play a distributor role (StudioCanal output, etc.). Make sure that when you complain, you blame the appropriate entity.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

The key word in this is "distribute." LGF has to play the hand they're dealt, meaning that they will simply encode and duplicate whatever masters Miramax sees fit to provide.

One can't assume even that much. LG was criticized by some for the encoding of Apocalypse Now, but if you look at the credits of that disc, as compared to other LG disc where credits are listed, it's not the usual mastering facility. (Sorry, it's been a while since I went through this exercise, and now I can't recall the names, but I do recall that AN was mastered by the outfit that Criterion typically uses.) Depending on the level of involvement by the rights holder -- and in the case of Coppola and Zoetrope, it's substantial -- LG may not have sole control over encoding, packaging, cover art, even PR.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In any case, hopefully, we'll get way more hits than misses w/ these Miramax titles...

And yeah, looking forward to Scream on BD although I get the feeling this will be the first of a number of disappointments to come given the (extremely tight) timing of it all (unless Miramax somehow already had a great transfer+encode all ready to push out before finalizing this deal)...

_Man_

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Lionsgate seems intent on becoming as large a film studio as possible, especially in home video. They now have video distribution rights to their own catalog, the Artisan catalog, Republic catalog (via Paramount), Miramax catalog, American Zoetrope, and StudioCanal, among others.

The question now becomes two-fold: will they release more than the obvious A-tier titles, and will they do so with consistent quality?

Also, as an aside, Disney clearly let Miramax go in order to not have as many catalog feature films to be concerned with. Now they only have their own, and Disney's pre-80s/Touchstone catalog is rather small by comparison to other studios when one considers their output of live action features up through the 70s was rather minimal.

Overall they are doing a good job at making deals, and really with all that is going on they now have a decent Film library to work with, but prior to the Miramax deal, they have been slow on a lot of the back catalog, where are the films from Republic, if they would start to release some of there older stuff, then maybe I would have a little more faith.

When I think Lionsgate the first thing that comes to mind is Saw, yes I know they have done more, But then New line had the “Critters” stigma for a while as well.

The one title that would fall into the Republic catalog, well we all know how “It’s A Wonderful Life” turned out (thanks Paramount). So here is to hoping that the start looking at releasing some of the pre 70’s films that they have.

The one thing that I do hope is that with this deal with the Weinstein’s is that the much promised Blu Ray of Night of the Living Dead will finally make it out, and pray that they have Romero come in and oversee it, like Coppola did with Godfather.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One other thing about Lionsgate.

They may indeed eventually get it all right for each title, but it could easily take them 7x7 annual iterations/re-dips before they get there, eg. Stargate, T2 (still not there yet, but Cameron's partially to blame), Highlander (although this has been much better handled on BD).

_Man_

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

[etc.]

Having reviewed more Lionsgate titles than anyone here (and panned those that didn't measure up), I find that scenario unlikely. Certainly some of the early releases from the LIVE catalogue, like the first Stargate, were underwhelming. But that was 2006, when a lot of studios were releasing underwhelming Blu-rays (and some weren't releasing any at all). As the format has matured, and studios like Lionsgate have gained greater experience, they're more likely to get it right on the first try, assuming they aren't working under special limitations like those imposed with anything Cameron. So, for example, Highlander, which was done right the first time, although there are complaints about the version of the soundtrack used. Other examples of catalogue titles that won't be needing a reissue include: Apocalypse Now, Hard Candy, The Running Man and Secretary. I'd like to see more extras on Chaplin, but it certainly doesn't need a reissue for a/v quality.

Is quality guaranteed? Obviously not. But Lionsgate's catalogue output in 2010 and 2011 (to date) is cause for optimism, not the opposite. The real unknown here is the new Miramax and its owners, because they'll be the ones calling the shots.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You are describing the latest Studio Canal logo. Lionsgate is the one with the clockwork gears and the giant gate.

Originally Posted by Will_B

It is such an obscure company. Though I recognize the Lionsgate logo -- the churchy clouds with god-light pouring through

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Actually, the Lionsgate intro ends on an image of clouds:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
And for those with real trepidation on if Lionsgate will get it right, I pose the following, along with the deal at Lionsgate, they have a deal with Echo Bridge for 251 titles from there catalog as well.

Miramax titles under the new partnership include such films as the From Dusk Till Dawn trilogy, award-winning dramas such as Music of the Heart, Marvin's Room, Tsotsi and Becoming Jane, and select titles from the Hellraiser, Halloween, Pokemon and Children of the Corn franchises.

Now for the life of me, cant think of one Echo Bridge release that I have bought, what is the quality of the company’s releases?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How the heck exactly did Miramax decide to divvy up their library like that?

BTW, Becoming Jane was already released in the form of a quality BD, so there's probably not much to worry about for that title -- no idea about some of the others in terms of quality of existing releases, if any...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
[COLOR= black]55 Days at Peking
El Cid
Fall of the Roman Empire
[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Miramax, back catalog has some huge films, but really the last releases were some time ago, and out of the two Distributers do you see either one trying to do these three films? [/COLOR]

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE Blu Ray...they were acquired by Miramax....also 55 Days at Peking

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Ken Koc

EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE Blu Ray...they were acquired by Miramax....also 55 Days at Peking

The Bronston Big Four - EL CID, FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, 55 DAYS AT PEKING and CIRCUS WORLD are owned by the Weinstein Company and not Miramax. Any Blu-ray would have to come through that company which has a distribution deal with Anchor Bay through their ownership of 25% of Staz Media. They were very disappointed with the sales of EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, so much so they canceled the release of 55 DAYS AT PEKING and CIRCUS WORLD. IMO there is no chance of these titles ending up on Blu. Also there would still have to be some work done on all the films.

However - the UK rights are owned by Universal. Maybe???

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Sorry, was confusing TWC with Miramax, although there are still some inner workings where the Weinstein’s still have a part in this via the Dimension catalog and Dimension line.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
EL CID and THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE were released on DVD in 2008 by The Weinstein Company through Genius Products. They started a specialty label called The Miram Collection named after their mother. This was to be an outlet for the four Bronston Epics and other films that had fallen through the cracks as far as DVD releasing was concerned. I still think the confusion over the three different packaging (Collection Set, Two Disc Set, One Disc Movie only) and also the lack of marketing by Genius led to the poor sales. There was also a lot of discussion that the transfer was not very good, but I did not find anything really lacking and have enjoyed both films. I have been very disappointed the other two were never released and always thought the John Wayne CIRCUS WORLD would have ended up having the best sales of the all of them and should have been first. After all, it is John Wayne. I did end up with the Japanese DVD's of both CIRCUS WORLD and 55 DAYS AT PEKING and consider them a little above average but strictly bare bones, lacking overture and etc.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by ahollis

The Bronston Big Four - EL CID, FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, 55 DAYS AT PEKING and CIRCUS WORLD are owned by the Weinstein Company and not Miramax.
However - the UK rights are owned by Universal. Maybe???

Someone said (maybe on this forum) that Weinstein's rights to the Bronston films had expired. I assume that Universal do indeed still have the rights to the films in the UK

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Douglas R

Someone said (maybe on this forum) that Weinstein's rights to the Bronston films had expired. I assume that Universal do indeed still have the rights to the films in the UK

Universal did release a DVD of El Cid in the U. K. several years ago. It was a pan and scan abomination; a total disgrace. If we are relying on Universal in the U. K. for decent BRDs of the Bronston movies, I hope Universal today have different people and a different attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks