What's new

Line doubler on LCD projector (1 Viewer)

Timmy T

Auditioning
I just got a SVGA LCD projector. It's native resolution is 800 x 600 although it can accept higher resolution signals like 1024 x 768 & 1152 x 864. It can also accept 480p, 720p, 1035i and 1080i signals.
I use it to watch DVD (480p) on an 80 inch screen and it looks fine.
Given that the native resolution of the projector is 800 x 600, am I right in thinking that even if I double or quadruple the input signals (to 720p or higher), the output resolution is still 800 x 600 and so it would not look better?
Would it serve any useful purpose for me to get a line doubler / scaler like QuadScan Elite?
Grateful for any advice.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
The scaler might be better in a dedicated scaler than your projector. Thee 16:9 signal from the DVD has to be scaled down to fit the 800x600 LCD-panel of your pj. Other reasons to use an external doubler is to get progressive signal. The doubler will make the interlaced signal from the dvd progressive I believe.
For example the Davis 450 DLP-projector has a very bad scaler and should be used with HTPC or an external scaler.
Regards,
Tor Arne Hustvedt
------------------
Picture of my setup so far:
http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

Timmy T

Auditioning
Thanks, Tor Arne.
Currently,I am connecting a progressive DVD player directly to my LCD projector (Sanyo) via component input. The result (on 80" screen) looks good to me. It seems the internal scaler of the projector is not too bad.
As line doublers are usually expensive, I want to make sure that I can 'see' the differences. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks