What's new

Jonathan

Owner
Real Name
Jonathan
LG got its start back in 1958 as the Goldstar Company and joined the home cinema market with its first 19” black and white television in 1966. After 64 years of pioneering the consumer electronics industry, and 56 years since the release of its first television, has LG finally crafted the perfect in-home cinematic experience with the CineBeam HU915QB UST projector?

A successor to the LG HU85LA, the HU915QB caters specifically to discerning home theater enthusiasts. LG has expanded its elite 4K CineBeam laser projector series with this remarkable triple laser projector, which generates a dazzling 120-inch image from a mere 7.2 inches away.With the HU915QB’s ultra short throw (UST) projection technology, you can now relish a truly cinematic experience in the comfort of your own home. But is it worth the hefty price tag?

Keep reading our expert review of the LG CineBeam HU915QB UST projector to find out.

Continue reading...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Nicely done, Jonathan. UST's can be a great option for folks with limited space or those who prefer their aesthetic appeal and/or ease of installation compared to long throw models. This one does have a hefty price tag so it will be interesting to see how it ultimately fares against competing models. Is the LG account you mentioned mandatory?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Many thanks for this review. A non-3D projector is not for me and I'm not sure I want to change my screen, but this projector sounds ideal for those with deep pockets and short rooms!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Terrific, detailed review that considers a lot of viewpoints and use cases. Notes a few areas of concern. Overall positive verdict. Review bombed by grouches who only care about a dead technology that isn’t coming back any time soon and has nothing to do with this particular project.

So sorry @Jonathan. You deserve way more respect here.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's an excellent overview of this particular machine. The only thing that would give me pause is the mention of the "rainbow effect" which, to me, would make an in-person demo essential (or purchased from an online retailer with a generous return policy).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's an excellent overview of this particular machine. The only thing that would give me pause is the mention of the "rainbow effect" which, to me, would make an in-person demo essential (or purchased from an online retailer with a generous return policy).
That’s my take too. I have never seen rainbows and I don’t go looking for them but I thought this was solved years ago!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ve edited my own response above. Apologies for going over the line, I was completely out of line.
I didn't see the original post, but the fact is, it's a completely valid comment on an absurd trend.

--Please see my clarification a couple posts down.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I didn't see the original post, but the fact is, it's a completely valid comment on an absurd trend.
This is where we disagree. This projector doesn’t have an integrated dvd player either but nobody feels compelled to post on the loss of that technological dead end on every new product.

I get that I’m angered more by these snipe posts than most members are. It doesn’t give me license to name call and I apologize for that. And I realize the fact that I keep replying about it here drags it on even further. This will be my last post about this “issue”. In this thread at least

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I guess we can be glad no one mentioned the lack of a 2.35:1 screen and CIH, to set Sam off on another rant! :D

But seriously, why are colorwheels and the rainbow effect (I am one who is affected by them) on a high end projector, like this? Do all short-throw laser projectors use colorwheel DLP, or just this one?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is where we disagree. This projector doesn’t have an integrated dvd player either but nobody feels compelled to post on the loss of that technological dead end on every new product.

I get that I’m angered more by these snipe posts than most members are. It doesn’t give me license to name call and I apologize for that. And I realize the fact that I keep replying about it here drags it on even further. This will be my last post about this “issue”. In this thread at least
I had a feeling you would misunderstand me, and I realize I didn't explain myself sufficiently. The "absurd trend" I was referring to is habitually posting short, monosyllabic objections about every... single... display device that lacks 3-D capability. I'm not exactly angered by them, just know they are eminently pointless.

It would be like me posting "No SACD, no sale." in response to every single disc player that comes out.,

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I guess we can be glad no one mentioned the lack of a 2.35:1 screen and CIH, to set Sam off on another rant! :D

But seriously, why are colorwheels and the rainbow effect (I am one who is affected by them) on a high end projector, like this? Do all short-throw laser projectors use colorwheel DLP, or just this one?
Most do, with the notable exception of the Epson EpiqVision line.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Jonathan for the detailed review of the projector. UST projectors don't get a lot of love around here in review form so it was great reading your experience with this.

I think Ultra short throw is the biggest advancement in home theater since home projectors entered the market.

I'm looking at this along with a motorized floor rising ALR screen in my living room (135") which as about as "plug n play" as one can get for home theater. My house is basically a long term flip, so there is no way I'd start a dedicated theater room.

Thanks again for shedding some light on the UST experience.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
That’s my take too. I have never seen rainbows and I don’t go looking for them but I thought this was solved years ago!
I’m lucky that I haven’t seen it on the DLP units I’ve had in my rig, but I have seen it on others and it would be a dealbreaker for me in my system.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I encourage those who have researched it and want CIH and understand the trade offs to knock themselves out building the most badass CIH rig they can afford. Invite me over and I’ll bring the snacks.
I discourage CIH enthusiasts from evangelizing that route to every newbie who rolls in off the street towards choosing that tech for their first (usually inexpensive) projector purchase.

The difference is CIH folks love their purchases and are happy to wax on why they like it, not tear down products or reviews of products that don’t support it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think Ultra short throw is the biggest advancement in home theater since home projectors entered the market.
To be clear I mean the 4K dual/triple laser, aesthetically pleasing models that have just arrived a few years ago, making projectors like it a viable alternative to large TV to the average consumer, and pushing the 'home theater ' conversation among them. It is a huge step forward, being marketed as "laser TV' is fine with me, if it gets the job done. I want everyone to have a cinema like experience in their home.

I found a nice screen at 135" but not ALR..bummer.
https://vividstormscreen.com/produc...MIj86FlKy__wIVe_XjBx35tAptEAQYASABEgLVifD_BwE

I might have to go smaller, and that isn't cool at all.

Jonathan

Owner
Real Name
Jonathan
For what it's worth, if 3D is actually a deal beaker I'd recommend checking out the AWOL projector I mentioned. I got to check it out at CES, and the 3D footage I watched on it looked great.

The rainbow effect was pretty surprising to me, to be honest. It was the single reason that kept me from even beginning to entertain the idea of investing in this particular projector. Though of the 10 or so people that I watched something with, no one else mentioned seeing it. So, seems I'm just a bit unlucky on that front.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks