What's new

LG 42PX5D Plasma - Feelin' Froggy, should I jump? (1 Viewer)

Dan J

Agent
The local high end shop has special financing on the LG TV's. My wife and I were very impressed with the 42PX5D (link to LG)
The salesman said a lot of impressive things, but I wasn't sure about a few of them. So, I'm hoping that you can confirm them.
  • LG produces most of the plasma screens out there.
  • Burn in is usally, but not always, able to be fixed with their newest "white screen" technology that removes burn in by running up to 45 minutes.
  • Hard to do better than this at this price. ($3,400 and I think he'll include a surge protector and a tilt/smim wall mount)
The last two are the ones that I'm most concerned with. Obviously, he's a salesman and on commission so I've come here to see what you guys think.

Please let me know whats what.

Thanks,
dan

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK
LG is not that big a player in plasma.

Burn in is becoming less of an issue. Panasonic, for one, also has increased resistance to burn in.

$3,400 is not cheap for a 42 HD.

It sounds like you are being lured into exceeding your budget because of the "special financing". Not the best way to go about things.

Dan J

Agent

Gotta say, that's pretty condescending. You don't know what our budget is. We'll handle that, thanks ;)

As to the TV, we've looked at every big box store, and every specialty store in Central Florida. I really was impressed with the 42PX5D. I know that it can be bought for less online, but buying it locally means that I get good support. I'm in favor of that, but I'm not going to spend a grand more for it.

So, is this the Plasma TV to get in that price range? We could go a little bigger even, but we're putting it over the fireplace so we're limited by bricks on both sides. Is there some set of ratings that breaks it down by price range?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I dont think he was being condescending either. I got the same impression based on what you said.

LG isnt that big a player in Plasma, I dont follow plasmas that much but you seemed to be more impressed with the pricing (which sounds more than what I remember hearing similar panasonics go for) than the features. That's a warning sign to me.

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, while HTF _IS_ a great resource, we are doing you a disservice by not recommending you check out this forum, which does have a significantly higher traffic in the exact questions you are asking:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

And perhaps specifically this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574829
or
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=lg+plasma
or
or
or
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=578942

Good luck

Sam

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Since money is not an issue, if you want the best 42 inch HD plasma, it is the Sony KDE-42XS955. Hard to find. But if you want the best, that's it.

Dan J

Agent

Arthur-
Yes, that's what I said. Money is no object, I want the best of the best.

You're obviously not understanding my questions and this isn't helpful, so why keep responding?

Sam and anyone else-
Thank you for recommending that I check out that website. It made me switch to a LCD because of the amount of light that the room will be getting from windows and skylights.

So, now I'm think LCD's and I'm looking at either the Philips or the Sharp. And, there was another model, but I can't remember what it is. Is there a website with rankings, like Consumer Reports does? I'd just like a nice LCD in or below that $3,400. Can anyone recommend a few that they have experience with or a website like I described?

Thank you,
dan

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
You're going to find that an LCD TV 40" and above is going to be above your price point. IIRC, a Sharp 37" model is around $3500 and the 45" ones are quite a bit higher. JMO, but I'd pass on virtually any Philips display as I've read that to make up for poor quality control they tend to have poor service to make up for it.

Are you thinking LCD vs plasma do to light reflection problems? At present, in larger panels, plasma has the most bang for the buck.

Mort

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
CNET.com is a good place to go for an "idiot's guide" to HDTV, including plasma and LCD. They also have reviews of various models, from the site's editors and consumers.

$3400 is pricey for the 42"; there are better Panasonics and Pioneers in that size for less. They also have reasonably priced 50" models. Money might not be an object, but the salesman looking to beef up his commission is less concerned with giving you the best of the best than he is with making a nice sale. "A fool and his money....", as they say.

Not to start a flame war, but I thought Arthur was trying to be helpful.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The last guy who was very impressed with a plasma at a local boutique was looking at a Hitachi that was the lowest rated in Consumers Reports. He didn't want to believe, and didn't want to join on-line CR because it cost ~$24/year. Meanwhile, he is talking about spending $4,000 for the Hitachi. So, as diplomatically as I could, I suggested that he join CR for $5 for one month, then quit, so he could see the ratings himself.

He was so embarassesd that he was smitten with the worst ranked model he started to throw stones at me.

A plasma would probably work out just fine for Dan, but those Sony KDE-42XS955's are not going to be around long. That is the top rated 42 inch HD plasma by CR.

Posten and Jerry

Thanks for the support.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
it seems sony is hard to beat any any level of display they offer!

I seen the new 32" LCD XBR and it was incredible. didnt think an LCD could look so good. but sears also had it for $2700....ow! :)

Dan J

Agent
Mort-
I was thinking LCD because we get so much light in the living room. I am worried about the image being washed out on a Plasma in a bright room.

We're now back on Plasma's I think and we're leaning towards the Panasonic.

Thanks everyone,
dan

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic is the safe choice. The Sony KDE-42XS955 very likely is the best performer. You can lead 'em to water...

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the latest Consumer Reports just published their annual electronics issue, and they seconded Consumer's Digest and CNET.com in ranking the Panasonics as the best plasmas, based on price and performance.

CR listed the 50" version of the Sony in the middle of the pack, ahead of the Pioneer 4350 but behind 42" models by Dell and LG.

Interesting info, but ultimately its up to the future end user's eyes!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
consumer reports are wrong on that one. I might believe Panny is better as when compared they are very close in picture quality. but I would find it hard to believe dell is better and even more that LG is better and I am an LG fan.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Thing is, with my plasma display Dan, that there are a few preset intensity choices. On a bright afternoon, with the drapes open, I sometimes put it on one of the two higher settings and glare/ambient light becomes a non issue. On full torch, I'm sure it'd be OK, outside, on the brightest of days. It won't hurt anything running a display that hot if its an occasional usage. Also, you might want to have a hundred or so hours on it before you utilize those brighter settings.

Good Hunting,

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks