What's new

LD vs DVD "Who wants to go 15 rounds?" (1 Viewer)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello...

Since Laser Disc is making a (mini) comeback, I feel like I want to start a good fight (discussion). I've always felt that a good THX/DTS LD would kick the crap out of any DVD on the planet.

We can start with the LD/DTS versions of CASPER/THX...RUSH HOUR...TRUE LIES...DIE HARD 1&2...LOST IN SPACE...ALIEN RESURRECTION...JURASSIC PARK/THX...ARMAGEDDON...RONIN...and the Signature Collection of the MUMMY. How about The ROCK/THX going head-to-head against the Criterion Collection (DVD) of The Rock. In my system the LD was the winner in sound production. The DVD has one of the best pictures I've ever seen. This is the only DVD I would (have to) take over LD because of the DTS soundtrack.

Ding!! Ding!! Let the fight begin.

Dan Galyen

Agent
LD video v DVD video winner: DVD video
LD (DD)audio v DVD audio (DD) winner: LD audio
LD audio v DVD audio (DTS) winner: DVD DTS

coolness.....LD
Star Wars....LD

Happy to enjoy both orgasmically!!!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have seen a few lasers that look almost as good as the dvd. The one that jumps to mind is "the phantom menace". the video is near the dvd, and the sound beats the dvd flat out. Unfortunalty, however, dvd has won the fight. Considering the fact that if I want to buy any mainstream movie made after 2001, I have not choice but the dvd.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
LaserDisc making a comeback? That's news to me, considering they don't even make them any more.

Adam

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I love Laserdisc...I love DVD...and in my home theatre, both coexist perfectly in harmony. All you need is love!

Aaron Garman

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
After this fight maybe we could have a stand-off between cassette and 8-tracks.
8 Track sounds WAY better than Cassette. Know what sounds even better? REEL TO REEL!! I record the concerts over at the high school every winter and spring and it comes out very good.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interesting thread. You begin this "battle" just as my DVD collection has just overtaken my LD collection in size. The LDs stabilized at 1776 titles and the DVD's just surpassed 1800 this week.
Suffice it to say, my DVD collection will be growing while my LD collection, in all likelihood, will not. That said, I'm not getting rid of my LDs. Lots of titles that are not yet available on DVD and some of the earlier stuff (pre-1951) and B&W stuff probably won't look that much better for now on DVD. Of course, when HD-DVD comes along and if studios ever get around to re-mastering some of the classics then all bets are off. I'm thinking that this will be far in the future (with a few exceptions for classic titles.)
Yes, color bleed on LDs (the reds) is mostly gone with DVDs. And true, some LD soundtracks (like the DTS ones) kick some major butt. And some of my LDs will probably never see the light of DVD day. As a long time LD collector I find it hard (and sometimes not so prudent) to part with my "babies" so I won't. And I can justify keeping these big 'ol platters on a number of levels, even with the warts and inconveniences. Properly stored, these friends aren't going anywhere and with stave off entropy effects in my lifetime (I just turned 60).
But does that make me a LuDdite?
No way, Jose!
;)
Standing on the DVD track, waiting for the HD-DVD train to arrive.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm proud to be a L-u-D-ite from Looneyville. I'm only about half as looney as you Robert!;)
Will you must bump into Grant down at Ameoba-land quite often...?
Robert if you buy one more LD your floor could collapse, could be, could be? I'd stick wth thin mints if I were you!
LD isn't making a mini-comeback with me because it's like it never left. Everytime I think I'll buy no more grande discs I see another one that I just can't live without.
This week's haul:
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN
E.T. on Muse LD
THE MARX BROTHERS IN A NUTSHELL
...just another shitty day in paradise!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Wasn't this a song?

"Laserdisc and DVD,
Live Together in Perfect Harmony
Side by side in my HT system.
Tell me,
Why can't we?"

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
From three of my complete box sets come my all time favorites:

ABBOTT & COSTELLO meet the MONSTERS collection.
The SINBAD collecion.

The THREE STOOGES Comedy Classics.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I don't get it. My LD video out (S-Video) looks just a bit better than my VHS VCR, while my DVD simply blows it away, audio and video wise.

I suspect you guys are talking about mega-buck LD players.

Although my LD and DVD live happy together, I cannot think about even comparing them. LD is huge, cumbersome (changing discs? Oh, boy), video quality is inferior, and, to me, soundtracks sound practically the same on both.

Since I won't ever be able to afford a really good LD, I guess I will never know what the system is really capable of.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
have seen a few lasers that look almost as good as the dvd. The one that jumps to mind is "the phantom menace". the video is near the dvd,
Did you compare this to the the Highlander[first edition] DVD,by any chance?
The japanese LD was one of costliest mistake I ever made,luckily there are others who gladly paid as much as I paid when I sold it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks