What's new

Blu-ray Review Laura Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I received Laura on the release date from Amazon. I even spoke with them as to what was wrong or what to look for. I knew they would not be able to tell me but i threw it out there. I just love the film and think it looks great. Much better than the dvd. I have watched it I would say at least 5 times if not more. Thank you Fox for your restoration and many thanks to Mr James Finn for bringing back the Fox Classic Program.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Strange that no one knows what's 'wrong' with the Blu-ray. I have it coming from Deep Discount now that Amazon has pulled it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
I will upgrade to Blu-ray for my favourite films, but those others which I like and where the DVD is good enough I will only upgrade if the picture quality is excellent. Laura fits into this second category for me. Having read further reviews and considered the comments on HTF I am still undecided.
You know Keith, I read this when you first wrote it in the other thread and my first reaction was, oh I hope he doesn't decide to keep the DVD over the new blu-ray as he's really going to miss out. I was going to write just that and I thought, well, maybe before I do I should re-spin the DVD and look at them both. So I did.
Here's the thing (in my opinion)...the blu-ray beats the DVD hands down in terms of sharpness, detail, smoothness and lack of artifacts. When it's good it's very good, to be sure. Where it falls down is in consistency and contrast. The DVD is riddled with artifacts, noise, a jumpy picture (the opening sequence of MacPherson in Waldo's living room almost VIBRATES) and a much lower resolution BUT (and this turns out to be a significant "but") the contrast is so much better on the DVD overall and there is a consistency between the poorly preserved transitional shots and the bulk of the "clean" material that the higher resolution of the blu-ray is missing because it exaagerates the disparity between them. On the blu-ray, the highs are higher and the lows are lower, which makes a more jarring and much less consistent viewing experience. The lower resolution of the DVD masks the quality differentials in the elements (the differences are still there but less noticeably awful) but the lower resolution isn't responsible for the better contrast to be found in the problem areas. The contrast on the DVD just IS better in those dupey optical shots, for whatever reason.
And after watching both back to back, I'll say it again, the blu-ray is very bright overall.
So, ultimately, I don't have an definitive opinion for you. I will say that I'm NOT keeping my DVD and that I'm going to embrace the blu-ray (flaws or no flaws) but your mileage may vary.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Agree Will, I did a comparison also and the Blu-ray was superior to the DVD in many many ways.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by ahollis
Agree Will, I did a comparison also and the Blu-ray was superior to the DVD in many many ways.
But, strangley, I don't think in ALL ways...and it kind of SHOULD be

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ahollis
Based on what I read in another thread about differences in displays regarding 3-D, black levels, color, contrast and such, I wouldn't be surprise that the level you rate this BD over the DVD is more dependent on how your display handles certain issues over what other members are experiencing on their displays. I think this is more prevalent than we actually realize in why people report different video grades on these boards. Without doubt, it's not the only reason for grade differentials, but it's one of the main ones.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
Based on what I read in another thread about differences in displays regarding 3-D, black levels, color, contrast and such, I wouldn't be surprise that the level you rate this BD over the DVD is more dependent on how your display handles certain issues over what other members are experiencing on their displays.  I think this is more prevalent than we actually realize in why people report different video grades on these boards.  Without doubt, it's not the only reason for grade differentials, but it's one of the main ones.
I think you are absolutely correct. My display is 48" 3D compatable that is three months old. That could be the reason it looks so good

Real Name
Jeffrey Sultanof
I've just gotten Laura at Costco for about $9.00. I do agree that it is a bit brighter than other versions I've seen. But overall, this is the best version of this particular motion picture that I've seen. The clarity of the soundtrack is particularly good.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I just viewed the Laura disc again. I have noticed that the 20th Century Fox fanfare appropriate to the time period at the beginning of the film has been replaced by a 1953 rerecording like that which is heard in "How to Marry a Millionaire" and "The Seven Year Itch". It should be the one that precedes films such as Miracle on 34th Street (1947) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). This is a silly mistake caused by ignorant operators and I seriously hope it is not repeated in future Studio Classics releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am very late to this thread.

Never watched LAURA. Heard so many great things about it. Bought on sale at Amazon this past week.

Watched it on my 110' projection screen yesterday morning.

Outstanding film. Really enjoyed the story and all the multiple twists it took.

The quality of the presentation was top-notch.

So happy that I finally discovered this film. Thanks for the recommendations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
I am very late to this thread.

Never watched LAURA. Heard so many great things about it. Bought on sale at Amazon this past week.

Watched it on my 110' projection screen yesterday morning.

Outstanding film. Really enjoyed the story and all the multiple twists it took.

The quality of the presentation was top-notch.

So happy that I finally discovered this film. Thanks for the recommendations.
Excellent, I thought you would like it.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Got a viewing of this in tonight. I had seen the movie, but this was the first time watching since I picked this blu up on sale last year (cheap, too). I was pleasantly surprised at the video quality. And two commentary tracks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks