What's new

Kylie Minogue Achieves Five Decades of Top 10 Hits in UK (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With the current release of "Padam Padam" reaching #8 on the UK Pop chart, Kylie Minogue has reached the UK Top 10 for the fifth consecutive decade (starting with "I Should Be So Lucky" UK #1 in 1987). It is her 35th Top 10 hit overall in the UK.

The song is from Tension, Kylie's 16th studio album to be released later this year.

Kylie today:

Kylie at the start:

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Regardless of one's taste in popular music, getting into the top ten for five decades is a remarkable achievement.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Unless I’ve heard another song of hers and not realized who it was (quite possible) her 87-88 cover of The Loco-Motion is the only time I’ve heard of her.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Unless I’ve heard another song of hers and not realized who it was (quite possible) her 87-88 cover of The Loco-Motion is the only time I’ve heard of her.
Her biggest US pop hits have been "The Loco-Motion" (#3, 1988) and "Can't Get You Out of My Head" (#7, 2001). She's had three other Top 40 pop hits in the US: "I Should Be So Lucky" (#28, 1988), "It's No Secret" (#37, 1988), and "Love At First Sight" (#23, 2002). Plus several other hits on the US Dance charts ("Padam Padam" is Top 10 on the US Dance/Electronic chart). But in much of the world, she's been a pop star for decades.

She does have fans here, as almost all of her albums have charted in the US even if her singles do not get much mainstream attention, with 2001's "Fever" being the biggest at #3. Her last album, 2020's "Disco", reached #26.

The US has always been hesitant to embrace the pop/dance music that tops the mainstream charts in much of the world, so it's been more difficult for her and others in her genre (aside from a select few like Lady Gaga or Dua Lipa) to make the same splash here (we seem to prefer folk, rock, grunge, and country). But she keeps coming back for a visit every once in a while. ;)

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Congrats to Kylie for winning the 2023 Grammy award for Best Pop Dance Recording for "Padam Padam". This is her second Grammy award after winning the Best Dance Recording award in 2004 for "Come Into My World." She has been nominated six times since 2003.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Growing up in Australia, I first knew of Kylie when she was in Neighbours, a long-running daily TV soap series. Her younger sister Danielle (later stylized as Dannii) was more well-known at the time, if I recall, as Danielle was on Young Talent Time, a weekly show in the vein of The Mickey Mouse Club.

When Kylie launched her music career in the late 80s, many locals were sceptical, given she was doing bubblegum-type pop from the stable of British hit factory Stock, Aitken and Waterman. I liked her cover of Loco-motion, but some of the others were forgettable.

I'm glad and proud of the way she's reinvented herself over the years, moving into pop dance with some strong material (eg., Confide in Me, Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Slow). And now, Padam Padam, which is a great pop dance song, with an infectious hook and melody.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks