What's new

Kraven the Hunter (2023)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Title: Kraven the Hunter (2023)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Director: J.C. Chandor

Cast: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Russell Crowe, Ariana DeBose, Fred Hechinger, Christopher Abbott, Alessandro Nivola, Levi Miller

Release: 2023-10-04

Plot: Sergei Kravinoff is a big game hunter, who takes a magical serum giving him superhuman abilities and a longer life.

1st trailer

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/539972-kraven-the-hunter

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks good to me, and based on the trailer seems likely to be R-rated.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
based on the trailer seems likely to be R-rated.

Sony confirmed this at CinemaCon.

J.C. Chandor haș made other films that I have really enjoyed. I think All is Lost and A Most Violent Year are great. He has certainly assembled a talented cast here. But I think that trailer just looks like garbage.

No shade to anyone who is looking forward to it, but I don't think this is for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sony confirmed this at CinemaCon.

J.C. Chandor haș made other films that I have really enjoyed. I think All is Lost and A Most Violent Year are great. He has certainly assembled a talented cast here. But I think that trailer just looks like garbage.

No shade to anyone who is looking forward to it, but I don't think this is for me.

You seem pre-disposed to dislike anything in the Sony Marvel universe that's not a Spider-Man film. You used the same phrase, almost verbatim, about Venom.

Venom does not interest me. No shade on those who dig it. It just isn't my thing.

Do you own stock in Disney or Marvel? :laugh:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You seem pre-disposed to dislike anything in the Sony Marvel universe that's not a Spider-Man film.

If Sony actually made one of these that I thought looked good, I would go to it. Plus, Into and Across the Spider-Verse prove that Sony is capable of making a good film with this franchise that isn't a co-production with Disney. I just don't like the look of what they've put out so far with Venom and Morbius and now Kraven.

And I haven't looked at my post about Venom probably since I wrote it, so it is a coincidence that it was worded so closely.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Russell Crowe is in his European accent phase (following Thor: Love and Thunder and The Pope's Exorcist)!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You seem pre-disposed to dislike anything in the Sony Marvel universe that's not a Spider-Man film. You used the same phrase, almost verbatim, about Venom.
In fairness to Jake, they don't have the greatest track record. The two Venom movies are dumb fun, but they're not what I'd call good. And Morbius isn't just a bad movie, it's an incompetently made movie.

The Spider-Verse movies are terrific but those have Lord and Miller driving the ship. The Tom Holland Spider-Man movies are also good, but they have Kevin Feige steering them.

As for this one, I'm keeping an open mind. The fact that the screenwriters are Art Marcum and Matt Holloway doesn't exactly bode well, though. Sony seems to love them, but the only film they're credited on that I've liked was Iron Man, and that involved significant improvisation to make up for the unfinished screenplay.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If I could find it I’d be happy to post verbatim my disdain for these Sony Spider-Man movies that don’t have any Spider-Man in them.

None of it makes any sense to have all these characters that were created because of SM to not be interacting with a Spider-Man.

This preview does nothing to change my mind and it looks excessively violent.
Also it teases another SM Villain that was created because of SM.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't say I'm terribly impressed with this trailer. Aaron Taylor-Johnson...sure. He's always watchable, for my money.

Maybe it's that I just don't care (and never have) about Kraven. But...we all know I'm going to see this when it comes out. (Not sure I'll tell the hubby it's a Marvel movie, though. I don't think he'd like this in any capacity. He peaced out for the Venom movies...and we haven't seen Morbius yet.)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Looks like a Rambo/Punisher movie. Which is a genre I enjoy, but it is a weird mold to shoehorn a Spider-man supervillain into.

Curious to see Rhino, but that's about it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure anyone outside of comic book fans knows Kraven is a Spider-Man villain. I've been watching Spider-Man films since 2002 and had no clue who Kraven was until I did some reading about the film after it was announced (same with Morbius). I've never read a comic book. My knowledge of comic superheroes is all based on movies. I don't recall Kraven (or Morbius) being referenced in any recent Spider-Man films?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm not sure anyone outside of comic book fans knows Kraven is a Spider-Man villain.

Yeah, you aren’t wrong and that’s the problem with these movies.
They are Spider-Man villains. Created in the comics directly because of Spider-Man. Either as a result of something he did or someone else like JJJ creating someone like the Scorpion and The Rhino and the Spider Slayers only for the purpose of killing SM.
People should know they are from SM.
That’s the fault of the creators of these movies.

Maybe even more people would see these if they knew it was connected to or leading up to a SM involvement.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I can't say this excites me very much. I'm very familiar with Spider-Man's rogues gallery from the comics, but to be honest, I never thought much of them. I was astonished that Marvel, with Michael Keaton's help, managed to make the Vulture into a terrific villain. I'm sure I'll see this at some point, but probably not in a theater.

And this isn't an anti-Sony thing. While most of their super-hero films leave something to desired, Spider-Man 2 is still one of the best super-hero films ever made. Secondly, I'm feeling similar ennui about Blue Beetle.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bumped to Dec.13th, 2024

In addition to these moves, the studio also put two features on the calendar Friday. The Blumhouse horror feature They Listen, from writer-director Chris Weitz, will open Aug. 30, 2024. The cast includes John Cho, Katherine Waterston, Havana Rose Liu, Lukita Maxwell, with David Dastmalchian and Keith Carradine.

Kind of makes sense, as it seems like there's always a horror release on Labor Day weekend.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.