What's new

King of the Hill DVD... Anyone Getting it? (1 Viewer)

Jared Reich

Stunt Coordinator
Im thinking of picking King of The Hill up on the 1st of July anyone know where I can find it for the cheapest price or if the show is even worth watching? I loved Beavis and Butthead but I've never seen King of The Hill.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
It's definitely worth watching, though it's obviously a very different show from Beavis and Butt-Head -- "King of the Hill" is a traditional sitcom about a guy we're supposed so sympathize with (unlike B & B, whom we're supposed to despise). The humor is very low-key, so it becomes funnier after you get to know the characters; but if you watch the pilot and then some of the best episodes like "Square Peg" (sex ed), "Hank's Unmentionable Problem" (a whole half-hour about constipation) and "Plastic White Female" (Hank's son conquers his fear of girls by kissing a plastic head), you'll probably like it. The set has a lot of extras, including deleted scenes, commentaries by co-creator Greg Daniels, and in-character commentaries by some of the voice actors (though not Mike Judge, nor Brittany Murphy -- too bad, 'cause a Boomhauer commentary would have been sweet). And a half-hour documentary on the making of the series, including interviews with Judge and Daniels and the voice actors. A good investment all-around. Don't know where it'll be cheapest, though.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
King of the Hill is very wry and character-based, and full of a great deal of pathos. I absolutely adore it and it's my favourite animated sitcom of all time, but mine is a very minority opinion. The closest I can link it to are the films of Jim Jarmusch and Aki Kaurismaki and it's not a million miles away from the UK show The Royle Family either - you get into it gradually, but once it clicks it's an absolute revelation.

I can only hugely recommend it, but on the proviso that it's not for everyone.

chrisMCG

Agent
I agree that this one isn't for everyone. I'll watch it if it's the only thing on - but it's really not worth owning personally.

Still, let me be the first to say in this thread that Fox usually doesn't disappoint with their Animated series on DVD...

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
King of the Hill is VERY differnt from B&B. KotH is playing in syndication all the time. Check out a couple of episodes first. If you like it, go ahead and invest in buying season 1 on DVD. Personally, I like KotH, but I know alot of people that don't.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'll get it...Im bored...I've watched my Family Guy set like 6 times...I need more TV Animation to watch! :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I love King of the Hill. Your main character is somethign of a redneck and has all kinds of ridiculous hang-ups, but you can't elp but feel for him.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I love this show! it is basically about a bunch of Texas rednecks that have all these crazy things happen to them. Each of the characters are different (ie. Dale is a paranoid freak while Hank is usually a calm rational person). Watch it on Tv first though because it isn't for everyone.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Check out a couple of episodes first.
I disagree. You may have to watch many episodes and really get to know it well before you can decide. I used to not like it at all. But after I saw it many times, it dawned on me how brilliantly funny the characterizations are.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on this one like Oprah on a pork chop. I love this show almost as much as vintage Simpsons. Looks like it has a lot of interesting extras...pity Mike Judge isn't on any of the commentaries though.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
At first I didn't enjoy it but this show has grown on me (I think it's hilarious now) and I'm sorry I missed the first season! Time for me to get it on DVD! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I love King of the Hill. Your main character is something of a redneck
Ya think?????? Man, either you are the master of understatement, or you have a tighter redneck meter than I do:D

Some episodes had laugh out loud and roll on the floor funny stuff. Some didn't. But the killers kept my coming back. I particularly liked Boomhauer's unintelligible blurbs.

As a side note, a year or two ago, I was in Dallas, and Fox had an ad on the side of a bus for KotH, it said "In Texas, King of the Hill is a documentary".

I rarely fail to use that against my work colleagues from Texas.

BGL

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I like the show, but don't see myself owning it on DVD. As it is, I already have a ton of TV on DVD and I can't imagine myself watching these eps over and over like I would with some other shows I own. Still think it's a good show, though.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
How could you not have seen the show? On twice every Sunday night, syndicated every other day.

Watch the show before you buy it.

I'll be honest, I didn't like the show in the beginning. It was one of those shows that I watched if there was nothing else on.

BUT, when it went into syndication, and I started seeing episodes more than once, I really began to appreciate it. It takes 3 or 4 viewings of an episode before you realize just how good it is. Now, it is one of my favorite shows.

I'll be definitely picking it up.

Jared Reich

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know if best buy will have this real cheap? I picked up the man show today for 17.99 and it was retailing for 24.99. It says on best buys site 33.99 for King of the Hill. What will they mark it down to on 7/01?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks