What's new

Just what can I expect regarding JUDDER? (1 Viewer)

frascati

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Anderson
Some real frustration here. What is "acceptable" judder in any HDTV set? Evidentally there is always going to be a little of it due to pulldown issues. I shopped for a solid month before deciding on a televison. Early on I identified plasma as generally superior for clean reproduction of motion. If I read that once I'd read it a hundred times. So I finally settle on the Samsung PN50C550. Great price and free ship online. Now I wish I'd gotten it at BB. I'd return it tomorrow. Two days after getting set up I'm becoming more and more aware of what looks like frame rate issues making panned objects appear to "strobe". After first suspecting netflix I googled the issue and after much digging finally identified it with this specific television set. Turns out it was mentioned in a few reviews. Samsung, without literally recognizing the issue, told CNET that firmware updates will give owners true 24fps processing via "cinema smooth" on their sets. I downloaded the updates and if anything, for me, they are worse. A couple of Netflix documentarys last night, The Botany of Desire and I Like Killing Flies, were just about unwatchable. Every movement had dizzying strobing/judder across the screen. I dont' know if some cinematographers do this on purpose? Anyone (on the very odd chance) happen to see either of these, especially I Like Killing Flies (highly recommended)? I'm new to HDTV. Is this something I ought to just live with?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
A couple of Netflix documentarys last night, The Botany of Desire and I Like Killing Flies, were just about unwatchable
im not sure that Netflix is even sending in 24 fps. Not sure.

you need to evaluate your display using reference sources WHICH DOES NOT INCLUDE: Netflix, utube, etc, etc. Find some good blurays and also invest in the Spears and Munsil disc.

Good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks