What's new

Just got a PS3...give me some PS1 and PS2 game recommendations (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Best game I have played recently has been Okami. I liked it even more than God of War, and that is saying a lot. Great story, great art, and TONS to explore.

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - excellent game.

Devil May Cry 3: SE Worth it.

Final Fantasy 12?

Both of the Katamari games are very fun as well. Addictive is more like it...

Let me also add, after you play a few PS3 games, the PS2 games just don't quite look that good anymore... They are still fun yes, but I'd rather put the cash toward PS3 games. Get that thing online and download some of the free demos too.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
All three Metal Gear Games (both)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
God of War (PS2)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
I'm surprised no one mentioned any of the Resident Evil series games. These are fun, scary games, where you get to blow zombies heads off, or they bite and kill you. I was amazed that a game can scare you like a great horror flick. You'll be attacked by rabid dogs, with flesh dripping off, spiders 20 feet tall, and creatures that will haunt you after you turn the game off. Another fun adult game is Konker's Bad Fur Day. The little fella gets drunk, bounces on a lady plants breast, and curses like a sailor. Just fun...

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, I mentioned Resident Evil 4, it's clearly the best one. Code Veronica is pretty good too. If you want to play more than just the 4th one, be sure to play it last...because it will make the controls on the other games seem archaeic.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I would highly recommend three:

1. God of War
2. God of War II (although it's expensive at $50.00 since it just came out)
3. Resident Evil 4

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If Guitar Hero is compatible with the PS3, then it's a must-buy.

Second the recommendation for Red Faction. Console FPSes don't get any better than that.

Note that Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath, the two RPGs mentioned earlier, are actually Action-RPGs. The gameplay is not turn-based, menu-selection RPG style. You run around the screen smashing stuff and shooting at people arcade-style (but you still advance your characters' skills and equipment as in an RPG).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Baldur's Gate is REALLY boring though... Too short, too little variety and might as well play it on a PC. I got it for $10 and felt that was about what it was worth.

Playing God of War 2 right now. Maybe a little too much like the first one, but very good graphics for PS2 game and is still very fun like the first one. IMO, it is worth the price.

Guitar Hero is not compatible with the PS3 until the PS2 controller adapter comes out.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I picked up God of War yesterday, and I love it so far. I had a PS2 for years, but it has mostly collected dust for the last couple of years. I have a PS3 now, and figured I'd try some of the better PS2 games, since most can be had for cheap.

I'll also try Shadow of the Colossus since I loved ICO way back when. Does this game have progressive and widescreen support? It really helps with God of War.

Re: Resident Evil IV... I had Code Veronica for my PS2, and I thought it looked nice, but the control system drove me crazy. It was completely unplayable for me for that one reason. The comment above is leading me to believe they fixed it?

Oh, and just so there is no confusion... the Baldur's Gate game that came out for the PS2 is way different than the original RPG released for the PC! PS2 is a simple hack and slash action game with some RPG elements, which can be beat in 8 hours or less, the PC game is an RPG with realtime combat that you can pause, and from what I remember, has at least 50 hours of gameplay.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Definitely get Shadow of the Colossus and RE4. RE4 did correct the control scheme, and also managed to be the best adventure game of the previous console generation.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Final Fantasy 7 for PSX period. In my top three best video games of all time!!!

rockliffmt

Auditioning
Real Name
matthew
If you like realistic war games, the very best i have found is CONFLICT: Vietnam. This game is as close to actually being in the jungle as you could get. The invisable enemy is sure invisable at times. Its like 3 dimentional gaming which puts you in the game. The sound is amazing as you can hear leaves crack under feet when enemy are approaching from behind. I physically found myself ducking and weaving inmy chair. I now have a HD projector and a pioneer 7.1 sound system which I just set up. I can't wait to get home and play this game again. It also has amusing comments and expletives by the G.I's which make the whole package even more real.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks