What's new

Just a reminder: AT&T are liars, clowns, and untrustworthy (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Not only did we get it, but it's a standard option in the AT&T app. Upgraded via the app. Easy peasy!I've been on a 200MB plan from 2010 (I think) until about a month ago. I had to upgrade to 300MB, since travel and ios7 features pushed me over the edge too many months. Then my wife found we were outdated, and the base plan was 2GB for $10/mo *less* than we paid for 300 MB. (Also gave us unlimited text; we'd been on per-text plan for a while). And just after upgrading to to 2 GB, you alerted me to the even newer bump. So I'm at 7.5x the data I had two months ago, and I'm paying less every month. That's pretty great. And it gets better: these plans include Personal Hotspot. I can tether my wifi iPad as needed for no additional cost. That will be useful, and practical with the 3GB plan.Thanks! :)
Watch your usage. I thought 15 was enough. Ran through that in 10 days. Then thought 25 was enough. Had 30. Now I'm up to 40...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Here's the news story (one of many)

I was not certain if my plan was eligible.

I simply called AT&T and said that there were offers for free data upgrades.

The rep knew nothing about it, but looked up the prices and said that the 6GB plan
was the same price as the 4GB plan I was on.

So I was upgraded.

All you need to do, Dave, is call and ask if your plan is eligible for the free upgrade.

It may or may not be. Please let us know how it works out.
I just called and was told this upgrade stuff expires 11/15, but apparently some of it has already expired. According to my rep, only those with 15gb plans and above are eligible. Since we have 1 gb plan, we are not eligible. Looks like the rules have changed.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And when I read that article linked to above, it appears that the deal started with the 2gb plans and according to the car, all that's being upgraded now are 15gb and above.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
I just called and was told this upgrade stuff expires 11/15, but apparently some of it has already expired. According to my rep, only those with 15gb plans and above are eligible. Since we have 1 gb plan, we are not eligible. Looks like the rules have changed.
We upgraded within the AT&T app. We went from 300MB to 3GB and reduced our bill by $10/mo. Looking at the app just now, it shows the 1GB is more expensive than the 3GB plan. We're in the Mobile Share plan now; the fine print says it's available to subscribers in a 2-yr plan since before March 2014.

Check your plan options within the AT&T app. You might also get some insight from their website: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=Qjs4ccI453J

Perhaps you're grandfathered into an amazing 1GB plan. For me, their revised pricing was an improvement.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I pay $150 for 40g at VZW. 20g was $140.Their promo ended at the end of October. Only lasted 2 weeks and had to be done in the app.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
schan1269 said:
I pay $150 for 40g at VZW. 20g was $140.Their promo ended at the end of October. Only lasted 2 weeks and had to be done in the app.
That $150 is just the data plan, right? Does not include Line access? If that is your total bill, can you tell me if you're currently in a phone contract?

I called verizon and they offered me 10gb on their edge plan for 2 new 64gb iPhones, total monthly charge (before taxes and fees) would be $172.48. Drop to 4gb and it only goes down $10. Sheesh. They do have the deal where you get a $150 credit per phone number you transfer to them.

I like the 6gb plan at ATT. Seems like a better data/price point for us.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm currently trying to get them to meld my gf's account with mine. Her's is a government contract phone. But she can opt out of the military rate(I get the same discount from where I work...and our company provides "cost" accessories*. Put my LG G3 in the Otter Box, with the clip, for $18).Mine for two devices "more everything" is just over $200**(phone insurance, taxes...what not).Her VZW is $250 on one device with 30g. But she has worldwide access and other stuff added to her bill that is military specific.*We constantly get offers to buy half price dining gift cards. The company lawyers are available at a 75% rate(for child services, bankruptcy. But nothing criminal related). Latest were Amazon gift cards at 40% to 80% face value. $1000 card for $800. They limit the number of Amazon cards you can buy.*Non discount would be $255-ish.( The company I work for has ridiculous benefits. Our BC/BS is 85% employer paid. Vision/Dental is $1.12 a week. Our buying discounts...we get 4% at Tiger Direct and NewEgg. Constantly providing 50-75% of face value gift cards for restaurants and retail. Latest being Amazon gift cards 1/2 a $100, 2/3 a $500 and $800 for $1000. Limit of 2 cards. Local restaurants give us discounts with work ID. Even the in-town Wal-Mart gives us 2%.)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
In case anyone missed it in the iPhone 6 thread, I dumped AT&T three weeks ago! And my monthly bill is actually $10 LOWER on Verizon that it was with AT&T! Sure, I lost unlimited data, but I rarely exceeded one GB in a month, let alone two.

Stick it where the sun doesn't shine, AT&T!

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting. When I've compared previously, verizon was more expensive. I'll check again next time my contract is up.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Looks cool at first until you read more carefully the terms.

You can't carry unused data over for months on end, Only through the next billing cycle.

So if you have a 10GB plan and in January billing cycle you only used 5GB..that extra unused 5GB carries over to Feb billing period to use. If you only use 5GB in February, all that "extra" you think you built up expires in March and you start out at the normal 10GB. T-Moble piles all the extra up for 12 MONTHS to use as needed. WAY different deals.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks