What's new

Blu-ray Review Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
Mark-P said:
I'm just curious. By anamorphic projector, do you mean you have an anamorphic lens attachment (Panamorph, I think they are called) for viewing 2.35:1 movies?
Yes, exactly, a projector that squeezes the image then switches to a lens attachment. It's not mine, but I watched it with friends at a locally-owned electronics store. I sure wish I didn't have to live without one of those!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TheVid said:
and it seems worth mentioning that FOX decides to license JOURNEY for premium pricing, but gives WALMART exclusivity to an obscure title (even for Duke fans) like BARBARIAN in a blu-ray/dvd package for 13 bucks.
when someone is browsing discs, I'd would argue that Wayne's star power removes almost any of his movies from the obscure list. Why Journey is considered too obscure for the usual business model, escapes me.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Reed Grele said:
Mine arrived today! :D
d7af6e75_Journey.jpeg
Very cool. Boone is a delight in that. I didn't even know who he was when I was a kid and I thought it was the coolest guy to be traveling with that old looking dude James Mason. :P

When "Journey" was first shown on US network TV in October 1965, on The ABC Sunday Night Movie, it was shown without opening credits. The credits were placed at the end of the film after the final commercial ("The stars and credits of tonight's show"). I remember being amazed that Pat Boone got top billing over James Mason. But Pat was quite good in the film - it's easily the best movie he ever appeared in.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
that always messes me up when the credits are last... the movie playing again?!! :confused: :confused:
I don't remember Boone in anything else. In the 80s, on a station I was working at, I was the only one (sucker!) who didn't mind doing the Sunday morning stuff. I'd get there about 6AM and run all the church stuff. We had the Pat Boone show on cassette I'd run. It was very relaxing. Pat would say "and now, my own sweet daughter Debbie will sing for you..." :D Sometimes it would be Light up my Life! :p I still have a few of those cassettes, but Pat is probably recorded over on most of them, with my air check.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Pat Boone was at one time one of the top ten box-office stars in America (ranked as high as #3), so it's no surprise that his name was placed first. Despite being Oscar nominated and appearing in many films for the decade previous, James Mason was not a box-office star to the same extent.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
My friend works with Pat Boone. He said he has not met a nicer, more level-headed star from that era.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bob Furmanek said:
My friend works with Pat Boone. He said he has not met a nicer, more level-headed star from that era.
Yeah, I'm sure he's a nice man...I just wish he'd cut back on the anti-gay and anti-Obama ravings.

I got to "talk" to Pat Boone in an online chat in 1996 over Prodigy (anybody remember Prodigy?) I had just gotten a computer, and couldn't believe it when he took my question. He said he was very proud of "Journey" and singled out Bernard Herrmann, praising him for his invaluable contribution to the film.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Bob Furmanek said:
I met Pat at a couple celebrity golf tournaments around 1980. He was very nice and accommodating. I still have my super 8 sound film with him ad lib singing and joking with us. People forget what a huge music chart star he was in the 1950s, second only to Elvis.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
He had bigger hits with covering many current goldie oldies than the original artists. I don't think his versions are as sought after today as they once were.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Radioman970 said:
He had bigger hits with covering many current goldie oldies than the original artists. I don't think his versions are as sought after today as they once were.
Some of his movies are sought after! Come on Twilight Time. Where's April Love? And what about Bernadine?

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
In the original press reports about the Twilight Time line (from 12/10) "April Love" was one of the movies listed. I believe it was mentioned on their Facebook page as well.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robin9 said:
Where's April Love?
Last I heard, Fox was still working on getting a quality transfer so it may be a while before TT is able to make it available.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
Last I heard, Fox was still working on getting a quality transfer so it may be a while before TT is able to make it available.
Well, that's encouraging at least. Thank you.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I spoke with my friend who does work with Fox materials.
This was a straight out optical 35mm film job. It was not a frame by frame 4K scan with digital clean-up.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bob Furmanek said:
I spoke with my friend who does work with Fox materials.
This was a straight out optical 35mm film job. It was not a frame by frame 4K scan with digital clean-up.
Could you clarify which film you are referring to - Journey To The Center Of The Earth, or April Love?
David

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Oh, sorrow, it was Journey.
Hey Bob,
I knew what you were talking about.
I wish web sites would do a better job of screen shots. Blu-ray.com makes the shots look like a DVD - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jules-Vernes-Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-Earth-Blu-ray/39539/ . If you click on the images they are 1920 by 1080 but don't look it. I did a comparison of Blu-ray.com's screen shots to my DVD and they look the same. But, when I compare my Blu-ray to my DVD on my 1080p TV I can see a difference. The Blu-ray is clearer and shows more detail.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
RolandL said:
Hey Bob,
I knew what you were talking about.
I wish web sites would do a better job of screen shots. Blu-ray.com makes the shots look like a DVD - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jules-Vernes-Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-Earth-Blu-ray/39539/ . If you click on the images they are 1920 by 1080 but don't look it. I did a comparison of Blu-ray.com's screen shots to my DVD and they look the same. But, when I compare my Blu-ray to my DVD on my 1080p TV I can see a difference. The Blu-ray is clearer and shows more detail.
The Blu-ray is pretty weak though, IMO. Only a modest step up from DVD. I probably would have saved my money for other things had I known this beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks