Jorma Kaukonen Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Music' started by Doug_B, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Per Rachael's recommendation, I picked up the Blue Country Heart SACD. Nothing short of WOW! As a matter of fact, just listening to a few sound bytes from it on-line before purchasing sold me on the content, which is rare for me. I noticed a number of folks on the forum have been enlightened by Rachael wrt this album.

So now I want more Jorma. Would prefer recordings that are decent quality and highlight his playing, whether from his solo albums or otherwise. I am not familiar with Hot Tuna, but if his work is showcased well with them, that'll definitely work. I'm sold enough from just this one album that I purchased tickets for his Philly show in May.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Doug, you might start out with the first, S/T'ed, Hot Tuna album. Make sure you get the CD with the half dozen or so bonus cuts. Don't expect the killer acoustics that BLUE COUNTRY HEART has. Afterall, this is a 70's album and much of it is live and it's on CD. I also own a vinyl copy. On later Hot Tuna albums, Papa John Creach was added as the fiddler. BURGERS was an album I bought and liked too. I lost track of Jorma after Hot Tuna till BCH. I'm sure somebody around ths joint can point you towards some of his later work that I have not heard. I'm glad you got such a kick out of it. Best wishes![​IMG]

3. LloydG

LloydG Auditioning

I also highly recommend Hot Tuna Live At Sweetwater Vol's 1 and 2. These are acoustic Hot Tuna at their best. There are also 2 live dvd's of Hot Tuna, one acoustic and 1 electric. They are both excellent.

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

The newly re-mastered Quah is worth tracking down too. You get a couple of outstanding acoustic extras.

My brother & I enjoyed a local show a couple months ago and he recommends checking out some Rev Gary Davis.

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Thanks all. BTW, I just borrowed Quah (2003 remaster) and Burgers (1996 remaster) from someone that I discovered has them.

Doug