What's new

JBL sub blew up...time to shop...help please. (1 Viewer)

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
So my JBL PSW-D112 amp fried after 3 years...pretty good for those I understand...and I'm looking to replace.

I looked at the new JBL model, the PB12, but they have just awful awful reviews on quality, so they are out.

I am looking to spend sub $300 shipped.

The Polk PSW350 is intriguing and I can get it for about $227 shipped.

I read on these boards about the Dayton. Is it actually a good sub? Only like $130 shipped.

Any other ideas or opinions?

Also, I have the Sony STR-DB930 Receiver and it is 110W+110W in stereo and 250W+250W dynamic at 4OHms: Is there a certain power subwoofer that I should shoot for? 100, 150, 250, 300 W?

That's funny I had the exact same sub for about 4 years till my puppy decided it would be fun to chew the woofer :angry:

Take a look at the DLS 10, from Parts Express. Supposed to be great quality for 100 bucks. Still waiting for mine to ship.

Ole

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man, I didn't need to hear your report on the PB-12 as being awful in reviews. I have had one for 4 months now and am quite happy, whether I listen at 60 or 105 dB. What gives?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Audio Review here is the link to the reviews. Seems like 1/2 are either DOA are their amps fry. I've heard nothing but bad things so I won't touch 'em again.

Any other thoughts on subs?

Any answer to what power sub I should use w/ my receiver? I don't want to blow the sub or buy more sub then I can power.

Ole

Stunt Coordinator
I like the concept of a powered sub, that is where you need more power than many amps can deliver. If you don't need TOO much in the way of low freq, and you power your sub with your amp, make sure you have an amp that can adjust the volume of each channel to balance the speakers evenly, not just by adjusting the bass control up or down.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
There's free shipping on this right now: $350 sub.
You can get the DLS 10 sub for $100- great bang for your buck sub which can be used as a "hold me over sub until I can build my own or afford an SVS."

Also at Partsexpress.com there is a 250W Amp for about $112 (free shipping). Mmmmm....might be time to DIY.

Adam C.

Stunt Coordinator
I had this EXACT thing happen 2 weeks ago to my exact same sub. I really wanted an SVS but everyone on here convinced me that a DIY was the way to go. (Plus I did not have $600 for an SVS)

I got the PE 250watt amp for $120
and a new Adire Shiva for $100. I am going to use the JBL PSW-d112 box until I can build another. so I only spent $220 and I am awaiting the arrival of the Shiva, but based on reviews on here this thing should sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks