What's new

JBL Speaker Questions (1 Viewer)

PhilHammond

Auditioning
I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers and am considering doing so with JBL as I already have two older models that I was going to move and use as my surrounds and then replace the two fronts and the center. I have a good sub that I intend to keep.

First question: Can I mix the N and S series without losing and tonal quality? For example I was considering some N series fronts with the S series center.

Second question: Is there much of a difference between floor standing and bookshelf? If I go floor standing then I'll probably go with the N series. If I go bookshelf I'll probably use the S series.

Any thoughts?

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
since you have a good sub, i would go with S-series bookshelfs along with the S-center.

you would lose some tonal quality by mixing series (though it likely wouldnt be as bad as mixing manufacturers) and the sub probably negates most of the benefits of floorstanders.

Steve Laing

Auditioning
Phil,
I have JBLs and love them. The tonal match depends alot on what kind of power you send them. It seemed more apparent when I upgraded to the Pioneer Elite. I have a Mirage center chanel. A good amp/reciver can adjust alot of the variables and make the match much better. I think (my opinion only) that the speaker match is blown out of proportion. Much more important to supply good quality power and signal. It is an economical way to upgrade too. You can buy one speaker, or a set at a time and differ the total cost over a period of time. Better spouse appeal;)
Happy listening!

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I would pick the s series over the N series. I have 2 pair of the s26 II bookshelf speakers and an S series center. I paid $504 online for the whole set including shipping.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I am also one of many fans of JBL. I've had a pair of JBL L100's for 25 years and nothing has been able to push them out of the "Main A" space.....
I set up my original HT about 10 yrs ago using various JBL speakers and have always been happy with them.
After setting up my brother's HT system 3 years ago, I was pleasantly surprised when I first listened to the S38. Great midrange and high end response with that in-your-face presentation. He's still running them and they have just seemed to get better.
While I have been using the S-Center for a couple of years now, I only recently decided to add some S38II to my "B mains" and pound them out using the venerable old L100 as a bench mark.
Right out of the box the S38II were muffled quite a bit. The S-Center is so bright, clear and forward that I knew I had some serious breaking in to do. After about 50 hours so far, they are coming around a bit but are still far from the S-Center. I forgot to mention that I have a pair of N-26 that I use for rears so I also had that comparison to check out too. The N-26 are 2 years old so are fully broken in as is the S-Center.
The S38II are already much better than the N-26.
I also have an old pair of JBL Sat 1 that are a great match for the S Series also.
All this and nothing even comes close to those old L100.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks