What's new

I’ve Got a New Router—Hurrah! Oh Crap! (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
But I don't have a constant stream of random people showing up to use my wifi. So, use guest network according to one's solution. But I think there's a lot of simplicity and no real risk to just giving friends and family your network password.
I don't have a stream of random people, but even giving even a good friend access to my network, who really knows where he travels on the internet? Apparently something as innocent sounding as coupons can results in downloading malware. Can the Guest SSID be hidden? If a guest network is just the same as another network in another house, then I think I'll set one up.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't have a stream of random people, but even giving even a good friend access to my network, who really knows where he travels on the internet? Apparently something as innocent sounding as coupons can results in downloading malware. Can the Guest SSID be hidden? If a guest network is just the same as another network in another house, then I think I'll set one up.
Yes, the guest SSID can be hidden. Keep the name and password taped to the fridge for easy access. It's what my wife does so she doesn't forget.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't have a stream of random people, but even giving even a good friend access to my network, who really knows where he travels on the internet? Apparently something as innocent sounding as coupons can results in downloading malware.
You gotta do what lets you sleep at night, knowing your friends and family. For me, this is a non-issue. Friends are over for games and dinner. They’re bopping onto Facebook. They’re not going to Russian deep-state piracy sites to infiltrate my personal data. :biggrin:

And my family, using laptops? Not a real vector of threat to me, over the convenience of getting them on my WiFi.

But that’s me. Your situation may be different.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You gotta do what lets you sleep at night, knowing your friends and family. For me, this is a non-issue. Friends are over for games and dinner. They’re bopping onto Facebook. They’re not going to Russian deep-state piracy sites to infiltrate my personal data. :biggrin:
Dave, some may say that Facebook IS a Russian deep-state piracy site intended to infiltrate your personal data. :unsure:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got the Motorola MG7550 modem/router with 4 Ethernet ports. You’d think 4 would be enough, but I’ve got my ATV, Denon AVR, Lutron smart switches, and a Moca adaptor hooked which takes all the ports. I’ve got an accurate weather station that I’d like too hook up to it, and who knows when I might buy something else that needs a port.

Just a brief browsing of amazon didn’t reveal any routers with more than 4 ports. Is there a way to extend the number of ports on the router? That doesn’t seam feasible.

In the day of smart homes, 4 ports seems to be on the low side.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I’ve got the Motorola MG7550 modem/router with 4 Ethernet ports. You’d think 4 would be enough, but I’ve got my ATV, Denon AVR, Lutron smart switches, and a Moca adaptor hooked which takes all the ports. I’ve got an accurate weather station that I’d like too hook up to it, and who knows when I might buy something else that needs a port.

Just a brief browsing of amazon didn’t reveal any routers with more than 4 ports. Is there a way to extend the number of ports on the router? That doesn’t seam feasible.

Assuming you want to be all wired there are 8 port routers. The easier way in my house is running to 1 port directly to my main PC, and using 3 gigabit 8 port switches -- 1 in my main room, 1 in a distant room that only has 3 items that need internet, and 1 downstairs to the family room with TIVO, an old PS3 my kids used to play games, a ROKU, and a couple of miniTIVO units.

I'm not an IT network guy in real life or on the internet, but I'm pretty sure you can Daisy Chain at least one additional switch down stream to really amplify the number of available ports without getting into 16 and 32 ports switches which seem to have a lot more issues than my Netgear and TLink Switches. I think with an 4 port router + 4 8-port switches, you could easily end up with 28 independent wired connections.

Since so many Smart devices seems to be WiFi or even wireless only, that sort of system or bigger with daisychained switches seem unreasonable

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian

Johnny,

You would connect a switch to the router and plug all your devices into the switch. I currently use a Luxul AGS1016 switch that has 16 ports. Keep in mind that if you buy an 8 port switch this will leave you 7 ports for devices because port one will always be connected to the router.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks