What's new

iTunes on PC 'device not recognized" (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My frustration level is at a maximum right now. I've spent the better part of the day trying to resolve this.

For no apparent reason today my computer stopped 'recognizing' my iPhone and iPod nano. When I plug in the iPhone it pops up 'USB device not recognized'. (these devices work fine on my laptop though).

My nano does nothing when I plug it in.

For a few weeks I would get a 'this device would work better if it were plugged into a 2.0 USB' or something like that message. I HAVE usb 2.0 - so I don't know why this warning would have been active, but everything worked well enough so I ignored it.

First I tried rolling back my system restore to last week. When that didn't work I tried rolling it back to before I bought the iPhone. No difference. (and not the first time system restore has not 'restored' my system...)

I then tried following the instructions here; A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB thumb drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive

This was even more frustrating. When I tried to delete the keys as proscribed I got an error message. I tried to assign the mysterious 'permissions' - even though I have only one user account on my PC. I even tried to creat a second admin user and got hozed. I tried assigning permissions to everyone and across everything. Nothing worked.

I tried deleting the individual properties on the right side and was able to delete all but 'default' I rebooted the computer and it did recognixze my iPhone! W00T! I synced it, then tried my wife's iPhone - same error!!! DOH!

So I did the same thing, but no luck. Only worked once....

So - I practice some of my more obscure and colorful Latin phrases..... and decided to post here to see if anyone has any ideas.....

my next step without any other ideas is to backup everything then nuke my xp install...

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
update - I got the permissions to work and eliminated those lines, but it did no good. I also deleted the USB from the device managers so it would reinstall, but still no luck.

Glad I have an apple in the mail....

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
You didn't mention if you were using itunes or not, but anyway, my son's computer stopped recognizing his ipod until we updated itunes. Now all is fine.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
hmm, I'll try updating itunes first, but I think I'm going to nuke the hard drive anyway. It has been getting more and more sluggish... This is the same basic install from 2003 - and I've even changed the mobo since then (with a reinstall over the original XP)

Meanwhile - itunes on apple seems to run exceptionally better...

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I can't effin believe that worked! Thanks for your help - but damn that pisses me off. I spend the better part of my weekend trying to figure it out, mucked with my registry and even bought a computer because I thought it was a windows issue. Findout it is an itunes issue? #$@!

Well, thanks for your help. Apple just scored major negative points with me, but I can't express enough how much I appreciate your help.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It took me some troubleshooting before I tried it. I am glad it worked for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks