What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Day is the Locust’s cinematography finally looks beautiful! I am very glad that Paramount had the wisdom did not wait until 2025 to have a 50th anniversary 4K edition.
I need to compare that 4K digital to the 2023 Blu-ray. I bought that digital five years ago, not expecting a 4K upgrade.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have "The Day of the Locust" Blu-Ray from Arrow and ran a spot-check comparison to the 4K/DV streaming version. They are strikingly different. The most significant difference to me is that the color in the 4K/DV version is more saturated compared to the Arrow disc; there is also noticeably less grain. The source for each version may be different as well. For example, the 4K/DV version has the Paramount logo at the beginning and end of the film; on the Arrow disc the logo only appears at the beginning. I also noticed scratches in the Arrow version that do not appear in the 4K/DV version (e.g., the vertical scratch by Schlesinger's name in the opening credits). Overall, I prefer the 4K/DV version as I thought that the saturated color suits the lurid nature of the story. That said, I don't know whether the saturated color is consistent with the filmmakers' intentions and reflects how the film looked in theaters in 1975.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have "The Day of the Locust" Blu-Ray from Arrow and ran a spot-check comparison to the 4K/DV streaming version. They are strikingly different. The most significant difference to me is that the color in the 4K/DV version is more saturated compared to the Arrow disc; there is also noticeably less grain. The source for each version may be different as well. For example, the 4K/DV version has the Paramount logo at the beginning and end of the film; on the Arrow disc the logo only appears at the beginning. I also noticed scratches in the Arrow version that do not appear in the 4K/DV version (e.g., the scratch above Schlesinger's name in the opening credits). Overall, I prefer the 4K/DV version as I thought that the saturated color suits the lurid nature of the story. That said, I don't know whether the saturated color is consistent with the filmmakers' intentions and reflects how the film looked in theaters in 1975.
That's interesting because I would have been surprised to see such differences. I'll try to do my comparison in the next few days.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have "The Day of the Locust" Blu-Ray from Arrow and ran a spot-check comparison to the 4K/DV streaming version. They are strikingly different. The most significant difference to me is that the color in the 4K/DV version is more saturated compared to the Arrow disc; there is also noticeably less grain. The source for each version may be different as well. For example, the 4K/DV version has the Paramount logo at the beginning and end of the film; on the Arrow disc the logo only appears at the beginning. I also noticed scratches in the Arrow version that do not appear in the 4K/DV version (e.g., the scratch above Schlesinger's name in the opening credits). Overall, I prefer the 4K/DV version as I thought that the saturated color suits the lurid nature of the story. That said, I don't know whether the saturated color is consistent with the filmmakers' intentions and reflects how the film looked in theaters in 1975.
I saw it on opening day in San Francisco at the Regency 1. I recall the Conrad Hall’’s bright vivid colors and the use of diffusion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back in July 2019, I purchased the iTunes "Iconic Films of the 80's" collection for $19.99. So far, six of those ten films have upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision. Footloose, Airplane, The Naked Gun, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Terms of Endearment. The four that haven't upgraded are Clue, Crocodile Dundee, Some Kind of Wonderful and Urban Cowboy.

Looking back, I missed those great bargain days at iTunes. Today, they basically recycle the same damn titles with only more recently released movies being added to iTunes sales.
Of the ten films in "Iconic Films of the 80's Collection" that I purchased back in 2019 for $19.99, only two movies haven't upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes. They are Some Kind of Wonderful and Urban Cowboy. Recently, Clue upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks