What's new

Apple TV+ iTunes 4K Upgrades Thread (4 Viewers)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
NOT IN 4K WITH HDR BUT.....

We watched "Defending Your Life" on Apple TV last night and it was clear this was a new transfer. I don't have the Criterion Blu-ray which says it's sourced from a new 4K transfer, and I'll bet that's what this is. After the film I looked at the streaming copies on Vudu and Movies Anywhere and they were the older, grungier HD transfer. The version on Apple TV was letterboxed at 1.85:1 while the other services were full-screen 1.78:1.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I bought The Prince of Tides on iTunes four years ago with the hope that I’d eventually get the Criterion transfer. Long wait, but finally that wish came true as they just upgraded it to the new transfer AND in 4K!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought The Prince of Tides on iTunes four years ago with the hope that I’d eventually get the Criterion transfer. Long wait, but finally that wish came true as they just upgraded it to the new transfer AND in 4K!
My 2019 iTunes purchase upgraded to 4K but no HDR or Dolby Vision.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The mapping must have been fixed, because I now have both listings in my Apple TV library.
I don’t think so because if I bought that newer 4K digital when the price dropped to 4.99, I would have both in my iTunes library. The old HD digital that is in my library is still available for purchase.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I don’t think so because if I bought that newer 4K digital when the price dropped to 4.99, I would have both in my iTunes library. The old HD digital that is in my library is still available for purchase.
The first one is 4K DV/DA, the second is HD and 5.1.
IMG_1699.jpeg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Has Cutthroat Island upgraded to 4K for anyone? I see it’s available on VUDU as part of a FanFlix sale.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
My Cutthroat Island hasn't upgraded. I had a $3 coupon for Vudu, where the 4K version was on sale for $7.99, so I bought it there. But now I think I'm going to ask for a refund. The webpage says "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1" but I'm only getting 2.0 and from what I've just looked at, the compression is terrible.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My Cutthroat Island hasn't upgraded. I had a $3 coupon for Vudu, where the 4K version was on sale for $7.99, so I bought it there. But now I think I'm going to ask for a refund. The webpage says "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1" but I'm only getting 2.0 and from what I've just looked at, the compression is terrible.
Good luck with that. Vudu/FAH customer service has been horrible lately.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would call vudu customer service asap. Explain the issue and they should refund you immediately. That’s been my experience with them in these matters.

+1-888-554-8838

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks