It's freakin' COLD man! (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's 15°F here in central Arkansas.

A friend in Fairbanks Alaska reported it to be -40° a couple days ago! That's real temp without wind chill.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You don't need to go to Alaska. We had a couple reports here in Vermont this AM in the -35° to -45° range. I believe Island Pond had the lowest official reading at -42°, with anecdotal reports down to -45° in some other areas.

It bottomed out at -26° in my area (a new record low temp for the date). Fortunately, I had today off from work so I didn't have to leave the house. :D

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
-18 here in Madison Wis. this morning, though I'm already getting a bit acclimated to it. My g/f, otoh, had to spend last night in Minneapolis (-24) after having spent most of the week at a business conference in Austin TX (60ish).

The coldest I can remember it ever being here was I think -40, though I remember the wind chills were -70. My roommate and I were out in that standing in line to see REDS. Talk about proper weather for seeing a movie!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Nice and frosty here this morning!

Attachment 1239

Helps wake you up. I bought a new winter coat last year and it has been awesome. Never even feel cold outside on my walk to the train and the office. Granted, I do put on an extra pair of socks and some thermal underwear too keep my legs and feet warm as well.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
According to various weather sites, the official record cold registered in the lower 48 was near here in Stanley, ID. It got down to -54 degrees F one night in the early 1980's.

Stanley's only about 100 miles away to the NE as the crow flies, but it's in an odd 3 way valley between 3 mountain ranges up in the Sawtooths.

EDIT It looks like that -54 degrees F was only the record for Stanley.
Coldest Places in United States - Current Results

But Stanley is still the coldest place in the lower 48 on average.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From Wikipedia. Coldest recorded temperature on earth is −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F) Vostok Station, Antarctica 1983-07-21.

Warmest is 136 F in Libya on 1922-09-13. Death Valley Ca is second at 134 degrees. Is it just me or does 136 for a high seem a little disappointing next to -128 for a low?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Got cold enough here my weather station froze. :frowning: I have been using the local airport info for my website all day. It is supposed to get into the upper 30s tomorrow so I will get a chance to look into it.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I have to admit that it was a little brisk outside this morning when I went to work, only around -28 or so. Yesterday was much the same, and more cool weather is expected tomorrow.

I work outside all day as a ski lift operator here in New Hampshire. The cold isn't so bad if you're dressed properly.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, but the term has been pushed aside in favor of "climate change". This allows the climatological apocalypse crowd to claim things are getting bad no matter how warm or cold it is. :D

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Can't help you. 65, light wind, and beautiful blue, sunny skies in Tampa today.

That being said, the jacket and sweaters have come out more often this year.

Wonder what happened to that whole "Global Warming" thing ... (please don't answer that question)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
In a rare move, a snow day has been called in the Hampton Roads area (all school systems closed), although at this point, I haven't seen one flake! Still, expecting the white stuff in the next few hours.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It was about 26 below zero Fahrenheit here in Glens Falls, N.Y., Thursday night/Friday morning as I was headed out of town for a weekend trip to Connecticut, where it was a balmy 5 below Friday night.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was in New York City yesterday for a concert, and it wasn't too bad, around 22 degrees Farenheit. After teens and single digit temps up her in Albany, it was downright pleasant!

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Was 36*F here in Florida this morning, coldest it's been for the 6 years I've lived here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks