What's new

ISLE OF THE DEAD Blu on hold (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And, once again, the picture on the HTF home page has nothing to do with the title being discussed in the forums. Is there a reason this continues to happen and cannot be fixed? It's embarrassing for a forum dedicated to cinema and home theater that the pictures very often don't match the subject film.

@Dave Upton ?

upload_2019-6-13_10-42-15.png

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
This is tragic news. I love the Val Lewton titles. Maybe they would do well to do the rest as double or triple features. That might help them sell. I am surprised THE BODY SNATCHER didn't sell well. CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE looks amazing and all the extras on it are great. I can watch these over and over and never get tired of them.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Personally, I can't help but feel that anytime a single, short-ish, B&W, Academy ratio film with mono audio toplines a BD it's something of a missed opportunity. It doesn't come close to exploiting the possibilities of the format; among my fave releases are those which include a whole extra film (or two!) in HD.

The 14 restored Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes films were released all in one go, with a decent amount of cheap-to-produce but high value extras. One shot, on a handful of discs, and no concerns about whether the run will be completed. It's easily my fave box set for films of the era. The Lewtons would have been a perfect candidate for similar treatment.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have not read anything from Shout Factory saying that The Body Snatcher did not sell well.

I only read a random comment from someone not connected to Shout Factory.

I am sure companies like SHOUT! Factory do not expect huge sales numbers from these classics. They have shown that they are willing to invest in their preservation, nonetheless, frequently acquiring new scans, and providing historian commentaries that even Criterion isn't doing anymore. They are not going to make a profit on every one of their incredible roster of releases, but enough of them will to support those that do not, same as the Twilight Time model. Even if (the operative word being "if") Shout! / Scream did not see any monetary gain from their superlative BODY SNATCHER release, I just cannot see them cancelling all future Lewton titles, or even just ISLE OF THE DEAD, for that reason alone. In my opinion, this is something else again.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I am sure companies like SHOUT! Factory do not expect huge sales numbers from these classics. They have shown that they are willing to invest in their preservation, nonetheless, frequently acquiring new scans, and providing historian commentaries that even Criterion isn't doing anymore. They are not going to make a profit on every one of their incredible roster of releases, but enough of them will to support those that do not, same as the Twilight Time model. Even if (the operative word being "if") Shout! / Scream did not see any monetary gain from their superlative BODY SNATCHER release, I just cannot see them cancelling all future Lewton titles, or even just ISLE OF THE DEAD, for that reason alone. In my opinion, this is something else again.

I believe you'll find that Shout! is not actually spending a lot of money on restorations but merely taking advantage of restorations the studios are doing themselves as they migrate their libraries to DCP for theatrical use, home video, cable and streaming. Pretty much every classic catalogue title over the last three years has become available for theatrical DCP bookings around the same time as the new restorations hit blu-ray, including most of the Criterions from Sony, MGM, Universal and Warner.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hello, good sir!

I can't find a mention of it at their site. Would you share a link, please?

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-leopard-man?product_id=7096

What about LEOPARD MAN. I just checked my Amazon order and it still shows Release date: Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Same for me. Shout Factory titles have a tendency to get bumped a few weeks as it gets closer to the release so I'm sure The Leopard Man is still on its way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks