Is there a movie out there that I can make my guest naucious this weekend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Having people over this coming up weekend and was wanting to know which movies that could make my friends queasy [​IMG]. I know there's a list of low bass movies on the SVS website but aren't those just snippets? I need something that has low bass throughout. I have a room that's about 14x18x8. SVS 25-31 (22hz tuned). Properly calibrated....i think. [​IMG]

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

That gives you a good idea of the better ones. Another good one that may or may not be on the website is Twister.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Make a CD with a 22hz test tone and loop it. 30 minutes of that will probably make them naucious.

What I like to do is overlap a 10,000hz tone with a 23hz, and do fast sweeps from 5,000 to 10,000. Makes my dogs run outside and I have to plug my ears if I play it loud.

Anways, the bass movie demo I do for friends:

Titan AE - Ice crystal chapter
    Star Wars EP1 - THX intro, pod race scene
    The light sabre fight scenes sound amazing at reference level
    Matrix - Helecopter explosion, lobby scene, beginning sequence
    Oceans 11 - hotel demolition
    Harry Potter - (just to make them queasy) jk

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Lost in Space (initial ship exploding, launch sequence)

Desperadoes (initial bar fight, second bar fight, library explode, fight with friends)

Contact (wormhole)

DAS BOOT (many good effects such as attack on the sub's integrety due to water pressure and depth charge and much better than U571)

Avengers (oops, what a stinker)

7. John H

John H Second Unit

Or melt a voice coil. [​IMG]
    John

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

If you have the Bass Mekanik v5.0 CD you have to use track #18 titled 'System Checka'. It is one of the most disturbing tonal sweeps I've ever heard and has made my wife run for the hills while threating to cut me off from everything sacred. :b The whole CD is nothing but bass on demand tracks and it will definitely test your subs chin.

If you'd like I could 3 day a copy of the CD to you. In fact, I will make a copy this morning and take it to work with me in case you would like me to send it to you today. Just e-mail me and we'll hook it up. All I need is for you to repay the shipping costs.

9. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Everyone else took my suggestions so nothing original, but my vote goes to Star Wars: TPM and Gladiator for movies with good, consistent bass and effects. The Matrix is no slouch either.

--Steve

10. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Check out the 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition of Tron. You won't be disappointed. It gave my SVS a real workout in almost every scene.

11. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

My show off DVD is usually U-571 and Das Boot. I love going from complete silence to thunderous bass. It kind of scares the hell out of whoever I am torturing at the moment [​IMG] Here are the good ones.
    Matrix
    Toy Story 2
    SW:TPM
    U-571
    Das Boot
    The Haunting
    Gladiator
    Saving Private Ryan
    Se7en
    TitanAE
    Fight Club
    From Hell

12. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

I like the first attack scene form Pearl Harbor. I turn it up to about 5db from reference and stand back. Your guests will know it's coming but there's nothing they can do to stop it.
    When the second bomb explodes, it shakes the couch violently. It gets the wow's every time. [​IMG]
    Also, The JP3 intro is pretty cool. Starts off with a low rumble and just gets louder and louder. I'd say if you are looking to watch a whole movie, this is a pretty good one. Effects from beginning to end. And the movie isn't half bad either.

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'd recommend "Titanic". It made me queezy, but moreso from the story than the effects. Cheese usually has that affect on me! [​IMG]
    Brian

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, Titanic has some very good bass on it. It was also measured at ref cal to produce 109dB during a few scenes (though I don't remember which, but probably when the ship is breaking up).

Saving Private Ryan DTS!!

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

16. Robert Cobb

Robert Cobb Agent

I like to return to the T-Rex scene in the original Jurassic Park (DTS). Most folks are familiar with the movie and get a nice surprise when they find out what they've been missing.

17. Larry_W

Larry_W Agent

Blackhawk Down

If the explosions don't make him nauseous from the intense bass ass-kicking from the SVS, I'm sure the artery scene will.

Running over to BestBuy during lunch to pick it up.

18. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Nobody metioned Atlantis The Lost Empire, VERY VERY bassy, mroet han Titan AE, I was chaking the entire movie.

BlackHawk Down should be a good one..... can't wait for the theatre to be finished!

19. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Martice, thanks very much for the offer. I'll do that and send it back. It's basically a setup disc for low frequencies?

20. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Hey! I just realized that scence in SPR where the guys are all out there listening to the grammaphone when there's this low rumble in the distance. It gets louder and louder til the guys finally jump to see what's coming.

Test: I wonder if anyone knows what freq. this is to gauge if your sub( SVS) is picking it up at the right moment..as the director intended.