What's new

Is the Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks" DSD really a SACD? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
CD Universe lists it as a "SACD". Just got mine in the mail today and my Denon DVD-2900 doesn't recognize it as a SACD(blue LED). How can I tell if my 2900 is accessing the DSD layer or the CD layer? The UPC code is 0 18771 96672 2.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The ones that come in Jewel boxes are CDs. Those that come in Digipaks are SACD/CD hybrids. Mind you, it's a stereo SACD. (My own personal player--not a Denon-- has a blue LED that comes on only for multichannel SACDs.)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you have it set to SACD priority, it should pick up the SACD.

That is the same UPC listed at tower for the Hybrid.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jeremy: Mine came in a dual jewel case. Not sure what a Digipak is.

John: I cycled the SACD settings on my 2900 through CD/Stereo/Multi and back to stereo. I then checked the setting with the Setup button. But the SACD light still doesn't come on. What else could I check?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Digipak
curse abkco...

The DSD means nothing-- it was digitized off analogue tape using DSD-- and then decimated down to PCM. Early pressings had an SACD layer, but not the reissues.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Rolling Stone sacds are no longer made AFAIK. And ABKCO blew a huge marketing opportunity by not marking their packages with any kind of hi-res labeling - dumb.

Also, sacd experts correct me if I'm wrong, but sacd hybrids always have a gold sheen on their playback side (this is supposedly an optical effect of the two different layers interacting & no gold is actually present). My RS500 sacd sampler and Audio Fidelity Zombies best-of sacd have this.

FYI: I remember reading in a HFR review that during their remastering, certain portions of certain albums used PCM-based technology & I want to say it was for de-noising purposes but can't remember for sure.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, but you got the redbook remaster, not the SACD. As stated previously, digipak = SACD and jewel case = redbook.

ABKCO in their infinite wisdom discontinued the Stones SACD's, which were all in digipak's but not labeled as SACD's, and released the redbook remasters in jewel cases with the same exact UPC code as the SACD's. So retailers have been sending out redbooks when people order SACD's.

The only way to be sure you're buying the SACD is to buy it locally, not online. But in any event, definitely get in touch with CD Universe as this was their mistake, and they should take care of this for you.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jeff even though it's bad news, thanks for the info! But, I feel somewhat better because I thought there was a problem with my 2900.

Yeah', now that I'm aware of what to look for, the website does list a "Gatefold digipak" in the description.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...42&Style=MUSIC

Man that SUX! :frowning: So...I take it CD Universe won't likely have the SACD version. I'll call them tomorrow.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, no problem with your 2900. That's my main player as well, and it has never missed an SACD or DVD-A for me with its trusty blue and red lights.

Based on that description at CD Universe, it should be the SACD. But again, the problem is, ABKCO used the same UPC for both the SACD and the new DSD redbook remasters. So Joe Schmo in the warehouse just pulls out the UPC match and puts it in the mailer.

Having said that, CD Universe may have the capability to ensure that you will receive the SACD. Can't hurt to ask.

I already have most of the Stones SACD's, but I was in my local Tower Records today, and they had a bunch of the SACD's still available, both the individual albums as well as Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks and The Singles Collection. So these are still out there.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Good info! The guys at HTF come through again.

Although is runs a little warm, yeah' the 2900 is a sweet player! Nothing else sounds as good in it's price range.

There's only one Tower record in Atlanta and it's downtown.:frowning:

Wish me luck with CD Universe tomorrow!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
**UPDATE**

Surprise, surprise...the SACD digipaks haves been out-of-stock since May according to the CD Universe rep. Sounds like they were trying to bait and switch an uninformed customer. But thanks to you guys, that's not me! I'm sending it back for a full refund plus return shipping.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Good luck finding the hybrid. They're out there. Scour the bins everywhere. Try places like Barnes-n-Noble or Borders, too.

edit: just saw the "Beggar's Banquet" hybrid at the local Borders, tonight

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, Just found this thread via researching the hybrid SACDs of The Rolling Stones. I never got these at the time of release. I heard conflicting reviews that the remasters didn't sound authentic and that they lost dynamic range, but I've just got a new processor recently when my old one died. So I've been reinvigorated in listening again! I've always wanted to get some of The Rolling Stones hybrid SACDs, especially Hot Rocks. I'm a casual fan, I'm more a Beatles fan, but I like the 60's Stones a lot. So I want to see if the hybrid SACDs are even possible to still get. I'd like to listen to them myself. I saw a copy of Hot Rocks at Borders yesterday. I resisted buying it until I learned more about what is out there and what is not. My understanding is that ABKCO stopped issuing the hybrid SACD version and only sells the Rolling Stones albums they have the rights to as standard CDs now. Aside from searching eBay, is it pretty much impossible to find the hybrid SACDs? It's been 6 years since last post here! There are a few large used record stores near me, I could check those out. I'd rather buy new, but we'll see. Thanks!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
While not cheap (but probably cheaper than many used ABKCO sold) on E-Bay, there are Japanese imports (w/o the CD layer) - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?q=the+rolling+stones+shm+sacd&media=&r=any&step=20&order=score I have not bought any of the Stones yet but have a few of them. Dire Straits "Making Movies" is on the way. They are generally excellent but of course at the price it's not most are going to buy a ton of. I have several of the ABKCO Stones SACDs and like them. Have not seem them in stores for a bit. Used to be you would sometimes see them mixed in with CDs at Best Buy or other stores.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Phil. I suppose one benefit of a disc without the CD layer is the disc may be more robust and not fail in the future. I was hoping to still find sone of the hybrid discs but this is a great option. Thanks again and I'll keep searching.:)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Thanks for the link Phil. I suppose one benefit of a disc without the CD layer is the disc may be more robust and not fail in the future. I was hoping to still find sone of the hybrid discs but this is a great option. Thanks again and I'll keep searching.:)

Just be careful as the regular CDs as after the SACDs were out-of-print they continued to press CDs from the DSD mastering process. See here as an an example - http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/52850/52898 All the Abcko releases by the Stones and other artists (e.g Sam Cooke) may have the 'DSD Mastered' label on the CD. Here is an example
117970056.jpeg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
btw - here is a thread with opinions on the different versions (I didn't re-buy any of them on the SHM SACDs) - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rolling-stones-2002-sacd-hybrids-vs-recent-shm-sacd.294866/

I usually look here for info on the quality of things - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=the+rolling+stones&album=aftermath

Note that the Stones stuff is available for download at HDTracks. Note that one can also buy them at the HDTracks website in 24/88.2 (from the SACD). At that sampling rate, they should be able to fit on a DVD if you use one of those to play discs and have the software to author them to a format your player can read (e.g. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...d-r-will-they-play-back-on-dvd-player.320261/).

Unless someone comes over, I don't play discs any longer (file playback). It is just easier for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I got into the stones around the time these releases were coming out from abko. I ended up with just a couple of sacd ones and the others were dsd.
I am able to play the sacd ones using my oppo DVD player. Right now it's not hooked up however.
Had I known what I do know now I would've Karen a greater effort to pick up as many of the albums on the sacd format.

It is unfortunate that sacd wasn't received as well. The dsd labeling added to the confusion as well.
Am I correct that sacd requires at least a 5.1 setup for playback?
I have that but again I don't have the player hooked up.
I actually listened to some of the abko cd releases this weekend and this thread came up on a search.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Am I correct that sacd requires at least a 5.1 setup for playback?
I have that but again I don't have the player hooked up.

Only if you want to listen to the 5.1 mix. Not all SACDs are multichannel. (And not all multichannel SACDs are 5.1 -- I actually have some reissues of old RCA Living Stereo albums that are 3.0.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool to see the reply Phil, after....5 years. :laugh:

In the interrum, I actually was able to track down from Europe the two CD set pressed on the late 1980's of the first issues of Hot Rocks on CD. That was one of my goals. They are in great shape and reasonably priced via discogs. They had the serial numbers I was looking for based on the set my friend has.

Since achieving this goal, the newer SACD releases have not been as important to me to collect. However your post reminded me that I was looking for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks