What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is the Paramount catalog a lost cause? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just asking. Warner has not released enough for me. I would like to see--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---ORDINARY PEOPLE--PLAY IT AGAIN SAM----NOBODYS FOOL---DAY OF THE LOCUST---YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES---ANGELA'S ASHES.----TUCKER--A MAN AND HIS DREAM----RAGTIME.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
No body is forced to read my posts.
That's true but I can't be the only one who is annoyed at reading a new thread asking for the same thing over and over and over and over and over. At least, just bump up one of the 30 other threads on the same topic that you've started and we'd all know to avoid it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
trajan said:
Just asking. Warner has not released enough for me. I would like to see--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---ORDINARY PEOPLE--PLAY IT AGAIN SAM----NOBODYS FOOL---DAY OF THE LOCUST---YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES---ANGELA'S ASHES.----TUCKER--A MAN AND HIS DREAM.
That wasn't the Paramount catalog of which I was thinking.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Just because they're not putting out what you want (no matter how many times you bring it up) does not mean it's a lost cause.

Slan

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Andrew Budgell said:
I'm still hoping for A Place in the Sun at some point.

Yes, great movie. Not at all interested in CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---ORDINARY PEOPLE--PLAY IT AGAIN SAM----NOBODYS FOOL---DAY OF THE LOCUST---YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES---ANGELA'S ASHES.----TUCKER, particularly Ordinary People.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
What REALLY seems a lost cause is the wealth of already preserved silents that remain unreleased, the biggest offender of all being WB. Still, my dream would be a Paramount miracle release of The Covered Wagon, a masterpiece that begat the big budget westerns. I've seen it three times at revival screenings and would love to own it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well it certainly doesn't seem like the same company that did such a great job with McLintock! But things change, we may see some good titles this year.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Billy Batson said:
Well it certainly doesn't seem like the same company that did such a great job with McLintock! But things change, we may see some good titles this year.
That would be great. There are still a lot of excellent J.W. titles for them to release: The Sons of Katie Elder, In Harm's Way, Donovan's Reef, The Shootist, The High & The Mighty, etc. How about causing a lot of heart attacks here by releasing these as a box set, Paramount?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The majority of the titles the original poster mentioned have HD masters available, and can be rented and/or purchased digitally, both as streams and as downloads.

While I prefer discs, I don't prefer them to the point of cutting off my nose to spite my face, to borrow an old phrase. My #2 all time favorite movie is a Paramount title that's not available on BD, but is available in HD through the various services, so I have that as an option for viewing.

I would think that Paramount doesn't check this board religiously, and while it may feel cathartic to express some frustration here, I don't think that's the most productive avenue to take if getting a copy of these titles on Blu-ray is the goal. At best, they don't see it, and at worst, maybe they see its one guy making the same request and not a lot of people joining in, and think that that means no one cares, potentially harming your own cause.

I would highly recommend reaching out to Paramount directly. Do it the old fashioned way, by snail mail. Major businesses still take written on paper correspondence more seriously than electronic communication. Paramount licenses titles to major labels like Warner and boutique labels like Criterion and Olive. Reach out directly to those companies too. If getting these titles, and titles like it, are this much of a passion, perhaps it would be worth finding out what it would cost to become a small distributor yourself. Panamint in the UK is a small company, but they put out high quality releases because they are extremely passionate about what they do.

Find other fans of the titles you like. Don't just look here. Ordinary People was directed by Redford, so seek out Robert Redford fans across the country and globe. Reach out directly to him, let him know you'd like his film on Blu-ray. Filmmakers like when their work is presented in the best possible fashion, and having them involved can make a difference.

This may seem like I'm not taking this seriously, but I am. When there's a vacuum between what a studio has put out and what fans want to see, it's often the effort on behalf of the fans that finally get things moving. Case in point, Fox had no intention of releasing Zardoz on DVD back in the day, until enough people went out of their way to contact Fox directly and let them know that this was something they wanted. And the success of the DVD in the 2000s led to a boutique label having interest in putting out a Blu-ray last year.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
John Hermes said:
That would be great. There are still a lot of excellent J.W. titles for them to release: The Sons of Katie Elder, In Harm's Way, Donovan's Reef, The Shootist, The High & The Mighty, etc. How about causing a lot of heart attacks here by releasing these as a box set, Paramount?

Many members would like these titles. John Wayne must be one of the biggest sellers for catalogue blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Paramount now certainly seems beside itself in regards to new deep catalog releases. Olive Films has recently got a line on more, but none of them are major titles as usual (unless you consider Partners a major release). The major ones seem to be divided between Warner Bros (sublicensed) and Paramount itself, and currently there is a serious lull in any new releases. Criterion releases some, but as usual it's and exceptional trickle.

Also note that some of the John Wayne titles like The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky are actually held by the Wayne Estate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Paramount film released by either WB or Paramount was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. I do expect at least one title to show up around Memorial Day/Father's Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks