is my Sony RPTV aging?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by kumar, Jul 30, 2010.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

My lovely 57" Sony RPTV (7 years old) is throwing some convergence issue.

For the last week or so I see blue separated by at least 1/2 to 1 inch. I can see that clearly when there is a white text (appears as blue and yellow).

First I did auto flash and then entered into manual convergence mode to fix it.

Though I could fix some + in the middle of the screen, towards the corners it was pretty bad.

I opened up the front panel and fixed the three focus knobs and it almost got corrected. In the process somewhere I added little bit red to the overall picture. I was planning to call some one in to calibrate the TV.

I ran it for about 20 hours in the last week or so and again since last night, convergence has gone bad.

Any idea how I could fix this. If I have to call an engineer, I am willing to do that. It's just that I like the picture quality in this when properly calibrated, and wouldn't mind spending to fix this.

If guided, I can enter into the service menu too, but I do not have any tools/hardware to do repairs.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    sounds like the # 1 crt problem....convergence ICs.

Figure 250-300 for an in home repair. A calibrator is not a repair technician.

3. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Greg,

I will call a local repair guy. I hope he does a good job. If anyone know of a good repair technician in the Raleigh-Durham area that will be great.

After fixing this, I would like to get it calibrated as well. I think I can extract a lot of juice from this TV. I always liked this technology than some of the LCD and plasma TVs. Some day I have to face the inevitable and jump to another technology, but until then I think properly calibrated RPTVs are great.

Thanks again.

4. Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson Stunt Coordinator

Chad Erickson
    Thanks for the repair estimate Gregg.

I started have the exact same issue with my 55 inch Mits (WS55807) a couple weeks back. I called one place and they quoted me $400 for the repair. I'll have to do some calling around to see if i can find a cheaper quote. If you would happen to have any contacts in the Minnesota-Twin Cities area, i would great appreciate it.

Kumar - best of luck to you.

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I had this done for $300 on my Panny and it's been working great for the ~2 years since. I've also read a lot of blogs that says this is a fairly easy do-it-yourself job if you're electrically handy at all. (I'm not.) All you need is a soldering iron. There are a few sites that give you step-by-step instructions. The replacement chips are about $8 a piece (you usually need two).

6. Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson Stunt Coordinator

Chad Erickson
    Good to know that i should be able to get this done for less than i was quoted by the first guy. I'll have to check around and get a couple more estimates.