What's new

Is it just me, or does the old 'enterprise' look more modern . . . (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
. . . than TOS Enterprise.
The detail on the model is fantastic, but it seems to be a little sophisticated than the 1701, or even the 1701-A.
Waddaya think?
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think you have the mind-set that the models and special effects should be 70's era since it is set in the time frame of The Original Series. :) (Me too.)
If you look close, the ship does look like a bunch of metal plates bolted together. Primitive and brute-force.
But the model and picture are super-sharp with modern technology.
It is going to take some adjustment. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Remember, the "Enterprise" in TOS - like the Klingons - was a presentation of how it would appear from 1966's perspective. If they were to remake TOS, it wouldn't look like that.

Paul W

Second Unit
Good points all.
If they were to remake it today, I'm sure it would be much different.
My favorite line from TOS:
Scotty - She's a beauty; completely transistorized.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Still, it is a bit of culture shock.
I will miss the old "boing bipp bweeeep" of the old control panel button sounds.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Jason, this new (old) Enterprise has some features that look more like the Enterprise from the movies than the TOS Enterprise. For example, the tapered, swept-back struts. I thought the look of the Enterprise from the movies was the result of an extensive overhaul bringing it up-to-date, hence the reason it was in drydock at the start of the first movie. Was I supposed to believe instead that the TOS Enterprise would have looked like the movie Enterprise if effects technology & budget would have allowed?
------------------
--Wayne Bundrick

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Another example of this would be the last Star Wars movie. Even though TPM was a prequal of what, 30 years, things looked a lot more sophistocated than the first Star Wars movie that was 30 years later, or so.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Marty,
A few have mentioned that.So did I.I think they went overboard on the sleekness in TPM, but the excuse was episodes 4-6 were a "Dark Ages" hence the junkier ships.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If they don’t have transporter technology, then I would assume they don’t have Structural Integrity Field (SIF) technology. SIF is what keeps the ships from coming to pieces under stress even though their designs look so fragile.
So judging by the ship's design, am I to assume they have SIF in Enterprise?
Will they have artificial gravity? (Actually, I think it’d be cooler if they didn’t. :))

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Thank you. Now go see A.I.. :)
I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing in ten years, though. Is it OK to call 2010-2012 part of the "teens"?

Paul W

Second Unit
Boy, I sure hope we have the roaring twenties again.
wink.gif

------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks