What's new

Is it a bad idea to place my receiver in a rack inside an armoire? (1 Viewer)

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old Sony receiver that I have inside a wood-based rack inside an enclosed armoire.

- The rack is open on the back (it has no backing wall) and it is open in the front.

- There is just under an inch between the top of the receiver and the top of the inside of the rack.

- There is a printer on top of the rack.

- There is also about 5-inches between the back of the receiver and the back wall of the armoire.

- I plan to only use the receiver when the front doors to the armoire are open.

Is this not a good idea?

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
Heat is the destroyer of electronics. I would never put anything in an enclosed rack if I could keep from it. If you must, you may want to look at putting a small fan or something to move some air arround. You'll know if it gets too hot as it will shut down.

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased my receiver from a friend of mine who is also an installer and I had the same concern.

When I set my Harmon Kardon on a shelf below my TV it had just over and inch of clearance on top. This concerned me a little but he said that was fine as did the instruction manual.

My HK has a fan built into it and I’ve pushed it hard during some parties but I’ve never heard it turn on.

The fact that it’s open at the back of the unit will allow it to breath.

You could take some temperature readings with it sitting on a table and then in the cabinet.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks