What's new

Is Hollywood ready to produce a BIG BUDGT Epic film starring mostly black people??? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I'm not saying epic movies have to be historical. I'm just saying that if we are going to have historical movies set in Africa, coulnd't they be about African cultures that are more... well... African?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Aw, c'mon--Beyond Borders was such a cinematic tour de force, not to mention a b.o. smash! :D

Seriously, I agree. I like the score to Out Of Africa, but enough already with those kinds of films.

-p

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw Malcolm X for the first time since it was in theaters. I forgot how good this movie is. Felt very epic-esque.

Is it me, or does this seem like a forgotten movie? Maybe it's because not many people saw it--I don't know. But you never hear people talk of it as one of the best films as of late or crack any top best movies ever made list.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
What's amusing is that HBO has put forward fantastic films on these subjects. "Tuskegee Airmen" and "Soul of the Game" which we both very good (to downright excellent) movies. I'm a sucker for baseball flicks, but "Soul of the Game" is one of my favorites ;)

I'm also sick of slave movies, I find that for the most part, they tend to be self-pummelling and while I can convey things to my kids, at a certain point you want to talk about "and here's where the future is" rather then living in the past..

I think there are great predominantly black films possible that could be done in such a way that they are not playing to stereotypes (so many movies are so over the top fake gangsta/all black people are high/robbers/thugs) I don't want to show my kids that, I want them to think much better of themselves and what they can become.

I don't need a movie that is "mostly black" or even "50% black". Just give me a movie where black characters are cast in positive roles instead of negative ones.

Because, lord knows, I'll take a flick like "Bruce Almighty" where God is played by Morgan Freeman over a film like "Player's Club" which may be all african american, but damn if they aren't in roles and presenting ideas that isn't very community positive.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
3 years after this thread was started, and here we are with Dreamgirls, a big budget period piece with an all-black cast. And there's Apocalypto, an american production with indigenous actors, filmed in the relevant language (for that matter, when was the last time you saw a "big" american picture starring only Latinos?).

Progress? Anomalies?

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks