What's new

Is Greed worth watching? (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I recorded the 4 hour version from TCM several weeks ago, not knowing much about the movie or this version. I've seen 30 minutes so far. Now, I don't mind watching what seems like half a slide show (which I assume is the added footage), but I would prefer to watch whichever version is deemed the greater. So which is it?

~T

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my opinion is that you should watch the 140 minute version first. The 4 hour version is slow going for those who have never viewed Greed, and will be much more interesting after you have seen the actual movie version, the version that has earned acclaim for decades. And if you find the shorter version slow going at the beginning, stay with it, because the story really picks up in the second half.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I would start with the 4 hour version.

The short version is 100% film footage while the longer cut has a good bit of animated photos added...but it's done in a great way that isn't boring.

I started watching the 4-hour cut at midnight when TCM last showed it and I kept with it until 4 AM. It was THAT good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What a great film, as Jarod mentioned the last half of the film really picks up. Watch the four hour version!

Crawdaddy

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
My 4-hour copy had been lying around, so I just decided to go ahead and watch it last night. I wish I had taken Jarod's advice to watch the 140 minute version first. I felt the stills disrupted the feel and flow of the movie, and the colored parts were more of a distraction than an effective technique for emphasis or contrast. Nonetheless, what I saw was a powerful and remarkable movie, one of the best silents I've seen. It was absorbing throughout, not slow at all at the beginning. And the ending, wow, was unforgettable.

~T

Tim RH

Second Unit
I actually haven't had a chance to see the 4-hour version yet, is it substantially better than the 140-minute cut (I assume it is, but just how much I don't know)? Unfortunately, I only know of one video store in my city that has the new restored edition (on VHS only), and it isn't one near me, but if you all recommend it enough, I'll probably rent it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks