What's new

Is DPL II adjustable on the new Yammies? (1 Viewer)

RoyB

Grip
Anybody out there know if Dolby Pro Logic II is "adjustable" on the new Yammies (1200, 730, 630 etc.)???

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hey Roy,
Just did a quick check on Yamaha's web site for the RX-V1200 and according to the manual (check pages 68-72) you can adjust all the DSP modes along with the DPLII modes. There's some special adjustments for DPLII music (Panorama, Dimension and Center width, whatever that means). So I would assume that yes the new yammies do have "adjustable" DPLII. Hope that answers your question. Now when I go home I'll fiddle with it on my 2200 and see how effective those adjustments really are.
- Mike

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike,

Just listened to both the 1200 and 2200, and heard a _huge_ difference in sound, the 2200 being much better.

Do you like it? And did the PLII adjustments make a big difference?

Richard_s

Second Unit
I have the HTR-5550 (low end) and it has the following adjustments:
All Modes including DPL II: Can set a delay on the Center Channel to make it sound like it is equal distance from listener as the Mains are (1ms approx 1 foot further away)
Movie mode DPL II:
Delay (default is 15ms)
Music:
Delay (default 5ms)
Panorama ON/OFF (default off) extends the front stereo immage to include the surrounds. It seems either setting the surrounds are used it just adds some of the mains sound to the surrounds for a fuller effect (not sure if I like this yet)
Dimension (default 0db) adjusts the soundfield towards the front or towards the rear range +/-3db
CT width (default 5) Adjusts the center image from all three speakers to varying degrees. 0 setting center channel information only on center channel and 7 diverts all center channel to the mains (like phantom on DPL).
Link to the manuals if they work for you I keep getting an error when I try to open the documents:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/m...an_av_rcvr.htm
An aside: As a test I downmixed "Titan AE" to VCD and ran in the DPL II mode and it was quite incredible. The surround effects were not as good as its DD5.1 counterpart but without running back to back you would never know. The LFE track was also very well represented just was missing some of the punch of the DD5.1 I did this test since my "digital cable" does not have a digital sound connection and I wanted to see if the poor sound even using DPL II was my Yamaha receiver or the cable box downmixer. Well the Motorola DCT2000 downmixes horribly I watched "Titan AE" to compare and the DCT2000 seems to eliminate the LFE the overall Bass effects are horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks