What's new

Is 2-channel SACD noticeably better than CD? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
For quite a few years I used to own an Oracle Delphi, with a Syrinx PU3 arm and various cartridges which escape me now. Amps were Quicksilver tubes, and the speakers Martin Logan CLS.

Since then I'm less enamoured with euphonic colorations, although I still like electrostatic speakers.

I know a lot of audiophiles prefer vinyl to any kind of digital. As long as they are enjoying their music I don't suppose it really matters, but I happen to think they are wrong.

Cheers

Steve

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
CD playback in your system must be severely lacking!
Keith,

It is! the cymbals sound dreadful and uh digital... ;)

Stephen,

I am surprised you still liked digital with such a great system...Oh well, it's a free country!

Thanks for listing the equipment. David Chesky had CLS speakers for the longest time.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
There is much discussion of the importance and worth of double blind tests and the like, but I must say most objectivists openly state and believe that science captures almost of not all of everything.
...everything that's on the *master tape*. AFAIK, No one, and certainly no 'objectivist' I've seen, claims that any currently available recording and playback media capture the live event perfectly in all its 3-dimensional glory. I think you need to be more careful about how you characterize other viewpoints.

DBT a separate issue...the issue there is simply this: when forced to *truly* 'trust his ears' (and ONLY his ears), does a listener hear differences or not? Listeners often *think* they are 'trusting just their ears* during 'sighted' comparison...but decades of studies show that they usually aren't. Perhaps all of us here have had the embarrrassing experience of thinking we heard definite differences between two components or media...only to find that we hadn't even switched components or media! That sense of *definitely* having heard a difference, followed by definitive evidence that we didn't, should be sobering, and should inform all our claims from sighted listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks