What's new

INSPECTOR GENERAL (1 Viewer)

Bob Koster

Grip
Real Name
Bob Koster
Watch for the release of the new DVD from Shout Factory. The quality is excellent. The supplementary materials came from our family home movies. Dad directed the film. I narrate the home movie part. Not bad,if I do say so myself.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Did you preview the transfer yourself? I'll buy it if it has truely been remastered from a good source. I already have the Roan Group release, but I wouldn't mind an upgrade. Didn't know this was being released. Thanks for the heads up.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
It's listed on Amazon . The cover art claims newly remastered . I missed the Roan edition .Which is now going for over $100 . So this is an easy choice for me . It's being released in September .

Charles H

Screenwriter
This is great news and a special edition to boot. I understand that much of Barbara Bates' footage was cut by Sylvia Fine because of her husband"s dalliance with Ms. Bates. Despite having the final shot in ALL ABOUT EVE, her promising career never caught fire and she committed suicide at the age of 41. It's nice to see some input from the Koster estate and with MY COUSIN RACHEL coming out from Twilight Time in September, it might give Shout Factory an impetus to bring out the remastered and once-upon-a-time-until-the-economy-tanked STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, as well as NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY and COME TO THE STABLE. Koster was a very underrated director. Auteurists probably held his versatility against him: Where else would you find a filmography that embraced everything from Deanna Durbin to THE ROBE to HARVEY (and four other Jimmy Stewart films), DESIREE and THE FLOWER DRUM SONG? I might add that Warner Archive MOD of THE UNFINISHED DANCE is gorgeous. The Technicolor in THE INSPECTOR GENERAL is by Woody Bredell who around the same time did ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS and THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN. Talk about eye-popping!

Bob Koster

Grip
Real Name
Bob Koster
It was remastered from an absolutely pristine 35m print we found in a collection in Southern California. The quality is fabulous.

Bob Koster

Grip
Real Name
Bob Koster
Quite a bit of footage in the home movies of Barbara Bates. Dad had an eye for the ladies too, although dalliance was not in his repertoire to my knowledge. You managed to mention four films that my half-brother Nicolas acted in,MY COUSIN RACHEL, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, THE ROBE, DESIREE.. He was also in GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE. Made the money for his medical school, became an MD, died way too young of a heart attack in 1982. RIP

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Henry Koster is a very underrated director. The Bishop's Wife and Harvey are two of my favourites. Looking forward to a decent release of Inspector General at last.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news...I missed the Roan release as well so this is a definite purhcase for me!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If it keeps going, I would think that a Twilight Time release of Stars and Stripes Forever would be very likely (unless Fox wants to bring out a big Clifton Webb box set, which I would not mind either).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Worth He made several great movies, and he made many movies.

Harvey is one of my all-time favourites, firstly pointed out to me when I was quite young by my mother who loved it from the day she watched it in the cinema.

My mother knew his name, she mentioned a few German-titled movies she had seen before or just after WWII, but I don't remember the exact titles. She also told me he had to leave (Hitler-) Germany after beating up an SA-man who verbally abused him in public.

Several of his other movies are on my (virtual) "great films" list and I'm happy that several of those are actually in my library (I own a Deanna Durbin pack of which Henry Koster directed a few: I consider those the best of that collection, and also The Bishop's Wife, Harvey, The Inspector General, The Robe); not Desirée though.

I do hope that after The Robe more films he directed will be released as a Blu-ray version. I just pre-ordered the new DVD of The Inspector General at Amazon.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Adam,

Great story. The SA were the worst (lowest), I have been told.

Thanks for the link!

Cees

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Radioman's Favorite comedy list: 1. Paper Moon 2. Inspector General I have the Roan Group release but was always disappointed about the lack of extras on the disc. Looking forward to a detailed listing of what we get! Happy Times! :D Just wanted to say that I feel Inspector General is beautifully directed and produced. I adore the musical numbers, particularly the (had to look up the title of the song) "Soliloquy for Three Heads". Truly hysterical! I wish my dad had directed this film. haha! Pre-ordering as soon as I get home later today. So glad there's a reason to buy this film again.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The "Gypsy Song" in this film is perhaps the single funniest musical number in memory for me (and, yes, I've seen SINGIN' IN THE RAIN). Worth the price of admission all by itself.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
"Make for me 'stalk stalk!" hee hee! Kaye was an amazing comedic talent. The opening scene of the medicine show come across like a movie classic that never gets mentioned enough.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just pre-ordered this while ordering the Matrix set. Hoping for a good review with some good quality screen grabs for comparison to hold me over until Sept. hinthint

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TRAILER It's pure comedy gold. May be the one film I'll want to watch on my death bed. I had plans at one time to do a web site dedicated to it. I was going to especially have a section wtih all the music lyrics, which I never completely found already on the net. And the songs are superb. Won a golden Globe, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks