What's new

Infocus X1 just went POP (1 Viewer)

Ron_S

Grip
Thinking about buying a new projector instead of putting money into a new lamp. What would be a good DLP upgrade between $1,000 and $1,500? Anything worth going to $2,000 for? Refurb is fine... How about the Benq MP610? Price seems right and it looks like the econo mode lumens got the X1 beat.

Thanks

Ron

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ron,
is the X1 still under warranty? If so you could call Infocus and arrange to ship them the X1 and you could request an upgrade to a refurbed SP 4805.

My X1 started to develope the noisy color wheel so common in PJ's and so I called them up, the guy I talked to was the greatest, he offered me a 2 year extended warrantly AND a refurbed 4805 with a new lamp in it for $99.00!

Infocus usually bends over backwards for their customers, I would at least give them a shot, who knows, you may get a deal like mine, which is more like a steal than a deal. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ron, the Benq MP610 is a business projector, not designed for home theater. It's also 4:3 aspect ratio with a 2X color wheel. Are you interested in it because of the high lumens?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

I would try to find a new Infocus 4805 (which you should not have to pay more than $900.00 or so for at this time); believe me, as a former owner of an X1 and a current 4805 owner, it will feel like an upgrade! (The 4805 offers native 16:9 DarkChip2 DLP technology; a 4x, 6 segment, built-from-the-ground-up-for-HT color wheel; and more lumens than the X1 operating in one of its two HT modes.)

In about 12 months you should be able to pick up an IN76 (720p native resolution) for less than 2 grand; but right now that projector will set you back around $3K. Just enjoy your 4805 for about a year and then trade-up to the IN76.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Or, like I said, try talking to Infocus about an exchange and a 4805 just might cost you a WHOLE lot less than $900.00. Don't underestimate the power of a phone call, it's paid off big for me with Infocus over the past 2 years.

Also, don't let the word 'refurbished' scare you away, in the case of Infocus that essentially means that they strip the projector down and rebuild it, including new engine and color wheel assembly.

Just trying to save you some dough, it's easier than you think. ;)

Ron_S

Grip
Well I decided to try and save a buck at the request of the wife and bought a bulb. Installed new bulb and got a REALLY dim picture on the screen. Called infocus tech support and was basically told there is something wrong with the projector and it would need to be sent in. I have a 5 year warranty on it but only labor is covered right now. The parts estimate from the tech support rep was around $250 + $30 shipping. The kicker is he even said this problem was the likely cause of my bulb going bad. He told me about other projectors they could sell me all at RETAIL price, no trade ups or exchanges anymore. In a nice way I told them to go fly a kite. I'm a little jaded on Infocus right now because of this experience. What other options do I have in the 1k range?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

You're in really bad shape at this point since you're not going to be able to get much for your pj on eBay; even with the new bulb.

If you just want to try a different brand projector (and eat the X1 and new bulb in the process) then your best bet would be to move up to the Panasonic PT AE900. This projector is LCD-based, but it boasts a 5500:1 contrast ratio with a native resolution of 720p. (The CR ratio isn't quite "real" since it's based on an adjustable iris, but it does do a "good enough" job.) You're looking at around $1800 (street) with this projector, but it should be worth the extra dough since you'll be getting a true HD projector. In the $1000 range (again, if you don't want to go Infocus) the Optoma H31 is probably your best bet. Like the 4805, this is a 16:9 DLP-based, 480p native projector, with a 4x, 6 segment color wheel. It currently streets for right at $1000.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would just get the X1 fixed (or ask about a refurbished 4805 or 5000); wait a year, and then purchase the IN76. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks