What's new

inexpensive DVD player for DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I'm thinking about picking up titles on DVD-A while many are still out there.

Can anyone recommend any low price name brands that playsback DVD-A?

I have a Sony model DVDplayer which doesn't support DVD-A discs, but I can plug in for the amplifier and it has DTS decoder in it, it just won't play the media though hence the other player needed.

Thank for any suggestions!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have the Samsung DVD-HD841 and JVC XV-SA600BK. The HD841 is a universal player that plays SACD as well. I paid about $50 each. Both are discontinued but may be obtainable, particularly the HD841.

Chris

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I bought a JVC XV-SA75 a while back for like $60, plays DVD-A, works very well. I'd recommend finding a player that plays SACD also, you will probably find out pretty soon that SACD has a much larger catalog of titles.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic helped design the hardware for the dvd-audio format, so one of their players should be a safe bet. IIRC they also put together the original authoring i.e. disc creation software for the studios. So, except for a tiny smattering of negative reports the past 6 years, Panasonic's players never seem to have any problems playing any dvd-audio disc. Same goes for Pioneer's Elite series of players. But their entry-level DV-563 and later DV-578(?) are not so fortunate. :frowning: But Pioneer's newest entry-level universal, the $130 DV-588, seems to be doing fine so far.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
FYI: a number of dvd-audio discs contain hi-res 48/24* and 96/24 stereo tracks that dvd-video players can play. This may be what is causing some confusion about how backwards compatible a dvd-audio disc can be. Most (all?) of DTS Entertainment's dvd-audios starting around 2003 are like this, a few early Warner titles, and all of AIX Records' discs (a hi-end label).

If the packaging has the letters PCM or LPCM (linear PCM) written after the sampling rate/word length, then 99.9999999999999% chance it will play on a dvd-video player. But if the letters MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) or PPCM (packed PCM) are there instead, you'll have to use a dvd-audio player to hear them.

One exception....I think. Classic Records has been selling a format called an "HDAD". This uses a regular dvd flipper i.e. a two sided disc (it is NOT a DualDisc) to place a 96kHz/24bit stereo track on the dvd-video side, and a 192kHz/24bit stereo track on the dvd-audio side. I am *pretty* sure the 192/24 track is regular PCM, but since the dvd-video specification only allows up to the 96/24 PCM format, this won't play on a dvd-video player. Classic Records has an excellent reputation for very high quality remasterings, on both digital and vinyl formats. And they have done this for three Alan Parsons Project albums, one of my very favorite prog rock artists: I, Robot, Turn Of A Friendly Card and Eye In The Sky.

BTW: their other/older "DAD" format is a regular one-sided dvd disc with stereo 96/24 on it.

* many audio engineers consider the length of the sample word to be more important for *audibly* improved sound than the sampling frequency

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
They will work in a regular DVD player, but you will be getting the compressed Dolby Digital tracks, rather than the high rez lossless DVD-A tracks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Gentlemen, please discuss DVD-Audio players in the area designated for such discussion. The Music area is for talking about music and musicians themselves.

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Not exactly. DTS releases may be more or less alone in this, but some feature DTS 96/24 recordings in 5.1. Having only a standard DVD player it sounds pretty good, but isn't quite up to what you'd get with a proper DVD-A player.

As well (as was mentioned upthread) many DVD-A discs contain a compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 track basically treating it as a standard DVD, but without much in the way of picture information.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It depends on how much cash you are willing to spend. You can get a Denon DVD-1920: DVD-A/SACD Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player for around MSRP $369.00

DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Music/Video CD/CD-R/CD-RW Playback, DVD-R/RW Video, DVD+R/RW Video, Kodak Picture CD Compatible, Fujifilm Fujicolor CD Compatible, WMA9 Playback.

DCDi™ by Faroudja Progressive Scan Decoding Engine, 10-bit, Dual, Discrete 12-bit, 216MHz Analog Devices Video DACs (480i/480p), WMA 9 (Audio only), MP3 Audio Decoder for CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW Discs, Composite Video Output, Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio/MLP/SACD, High (12dB) and Low Pass (24dB) with Speaker Configuration/Level Control and Delay Time Control.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
That Denon player sounds nice, i just dont know if I want to invest in a format thats still not getting the support it should. How many years has SACD been on the market??5-6 years??

I have the Pioneer 578 with firmware issues. It works great but won't play Talking Heads collection. In Canada you have to send the player accross the country to get it updated. I went and bought a 588 for 99.00 Canadian instead. It wqrks perfectly and gives me a backup player. These are also excellant for SACD considering their cost.

Rgds
Long live HiRez

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The reason I recomended the Denon was along with a good quality dvd-a & sacd player. You get a good solid dvd player with an HDMI conection as well. Plus a great performing DCDi™ by Faroudja Progressive Scan Decoding Engine. For the money I honestly dont think you can beat the Denon. Yes there is not alot of dvd-s or sacd titles out on the market. But a really good player will give you better audio performance and you have a win win situation with the solid performing dvd player.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Toshiba SD-6980

Ugly looking, but it does DVDA and SACD, and it's under $175.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can get the 5 disc 6915 on-line for $80, if you can find one that works. Lots of problems when it first came out. But sounded great for the 1/2 hour that they worked! As for the Denon 1920, I have the 756 which is said to be the same as the 1920 and it saddens me to say the picture isn't near as good as my Yamaha 6770/750. Maybe I got a bad Denon or a really good Yamaha (if there are such a things), but I was very disappointed in the 756. Looked good on paper but... Should have returned it but waited too long so now I'm stuck with it. Don't mean to sound like a party pooper, but felt I had to say something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks