What's new

In the market for a 16x9 RPTV (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to buy a 16:9 rptv and the budget is going to be around $1,500 but is flexible.

Do I have to worry about HDCP, DVI, and the like? Or is buying a tv without these features expected to be future proof.

I'm not going to be watching any HDTV due to availability in my area. Sources will be PS2, xbox, cable, and dvd.

Are there any good buys out there right now? I was looking at either a 47" or 53" Panny. Occasionally, Best Buy runs a 24 month same as cash deal, this is how I bought my last tv. But, it seems that BB is no longer carrying these models which may remove that option.

Thanks in advance.

Parisis

Agent
Mark,
I found my 47 in Panasonic at a Boscovs store for $999. I heard they may also be had at Bj's stores. The typical price (Circuit City) is @$1299. It is a great TV after some setup. Good luck.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given the low clearance prices of the ready-to-be-discontinued Panny models, you may or may not care that they are missing DVI/HDCP inputs. If it were my $$$ and I just want a 47" and can find one for $1K, that's the route I'd take and save the $500 or so for something else OR toward the next TV upgrade if/when I must finally have DVI/HDCP and/or when the digital-based HDTVs have matured some more and dropped to the $2K range.

FWIW, I have the 53" Panny (for 6 months now) and love it for the most part.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks