What's new
World Wide Stereo

I'm going crazy over inconsistant sound quality of my CDs? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
Is this due to the Integrated Receiver or the Univeral DVD player that I have or possibility the speaker? I'm getting pretty decent sound when I play Nora Jones or Charlotte Church CDs but almost any Rock/R&B CDs sounded like crap. I can play the same Rock/R&B CDs a lot better thru my Car stereo or even my JVC bookshelf system. Do I need a dedicated CD player or what? What's the deal with this? This is not what I was looking for when I upgrade my Amp and Speaker last summer in search for better SQ satisfaction. Its nothing but $$$ and upgrade after upgrade after that.

My Current setup:
Pioneer Universal Player - DV-380s
NAD C352 Integrated Receiver
MB Quartz S830 Speaker
Velodyne 10" Subwoofer

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Some CDs certainly sound better than others but your equiptment can make a difference. Some speakers sound great with some kid of music but poor with others. This is usually due to certain things bring out weaknesses in the speakers. I'n most cases a dedicated CD player will be better than the universal but I am running a universal player and it sounds pretty good with CDs. I am in no hurry to upgrade. Find some rock/R&B that is known for sounding good and try it out and see how it sounds.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There's no doubt that all recording are not created equal. A CD player can help. How's everything hooked up (Pioneer Universal to NAD Rec'r and sub connected how)?

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator

DVD RCA-out L/R -> NAD CD RCA in L/R

Since NAD C352 is for stereo application there is not Sub out so speaker is connected :
NAD Speaker out L/R -> Velodyne Speaker Level In
--> Velodyne Speaker Level Out --> MB_Q Speakers

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
The problem with listening to Rock/R&B is that sound clarity is bad and when it gets busy its get distorted even further. I guess I just noticed the trend by reading these reply the any music that is too busy, its get distorted quickly. Is there a cure for this?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
More than likely it's the DAC in the DVD player that is inferrior.

I would look into a good CD Player.

Also check the settings in your DVD Player. Make sure the DVD player is set to 2 channel analog stereo and the digital is turned off since you are not going digital.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Definitely could be the DAC in the player and/or its analog output stage. DVD players are generally designed to take the digital output into a rec'r for surround sound. Almost all also transmit 44.1k PCM at the 48k DVD-V audio rate as they feel it is close enough. Also, what is the sub crossover set at? How about the DVD player - what have you defined the speakers at (e.g. large and no sub I would guess should be right since you don't have a 5.1 set-up). Since you're not going thru a crossover, what's the crossover you're using with the sub? Did you set it up with an RTA or test disc or test tones with a SPL meter? Bass frequenciesn sum. So if you're using a sub the way you are you want it crossed over at just below where the main speakers start to drop off in your room so it fills in the bass that the mains are missing. Your room, if untreated (and the room is the most overlooked component), can emphasize certain low frequencies and if not set-up right the sub can make those worse.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Tell us some album titles you think sound unreasonably bad. It might be a case of "Pop music sounds like crap" that we've been talking about for 25 years. So if you think Hitler Stole My Potato sounds like ass, and everyone else thinks it sounds like ass..... a better CD player probably won't help you.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Its caused by sloppy/lazy album production. there is nothing you can do. If you're lucky someone will remaster the album in a few years. (such as MFSL)

Jacob C

Second Unit
Just a thought but your room can make a big difference. Music that has more going on, especially on the high end can sound really bad in a room with a lot of hard reflective surfaces. If that is the case acoustic treatments might be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks