What's new

I'm done with overpriced DVDs (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I used to be one of those people who had to have a weekly fix of DVDs regardless of what came out. I used to love going to J&R Video World in NYC on payday and fill a basket with movies and tv shows-it really made me happy. Nowadays I only pick up the absolute essentials, which means I haven't bought anything in a long time since there hasn't been a single good disc come out. Warner's last great box set was the Dirty Harry collection last June. MGM is dead. No one is doing anything of interest. So I pick up a copy of Quantum of Solace early and opt for the two-disc version. I paid $29.99 plus tax. Man, what a ripoff! No deleted scenes. No commentary. No trailer. The only thing on the second disc was a 24 minute locations featurette and a series of 2-minute (!) segments on various subjects. AND THAT'S IT. What the hell? You would think that in this economy the studios would want people to buy their product. That's not gonna happen at those prices, not even in boom times! Why do you even need a second disc? To top it off the hinge inside the box was broken and the disc was loose so there's a scuff on it. I feel so cheated I think I'll just stop buying movies and just get my buddy to download them for me because this is ridiculous. This film wasn't even that good.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Considering that that's $22.99 on Amazon right now, you should have shopped around. If you saw a price that high on a new movie that's a blockbuster and still bought it, it's hard to have any sympathy.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm more upset over the $39.95 retail price to Blu-rays but I've told myself that I'm not going to spend over $15. This certainly means I can't buy stuff on their release date but if you hold out long enough you'll usually find the prices going cheap at the Amazon marketplace, ex-rentals or even Ebay. There are some good sellers at this site as well.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I think that spending $30 for a movie that's not even that good is ridiculous, but hopefully the studio won't feel "cheated" when you decide to illegally download the movie.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
This thread is timely, once I leave work this afternoon I am actually heading downtown to J and R for a few DVDs and CDs.

I too used to visit J and R weekly but due to Amazon's lower prices, the economy's collapse and the fact that my shelves (and floor) are filled with unwatched DVDs, I go there very infrequently.

Still, Quantum of Solace coming out with a higher price for lukewarm extras is really annoying. Even in this economy, the studios should really throw in some more extras. It is a Bond film after all with a built-in audience.

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
GIven the fact that the features ARE listed on the back of the box stating that there is no COmmentry or deleted scenes plus the fact that you chose to do the two disc version as opposed to the single disc even further proves the point that your anger due to the "over Priced" should not be there since you 1) have a choice versus single disc and two disc, 2) knew what was on the extra disc, 3) didn't bargin hunt for the best price which would be considerable lower at another B&M at official release date.

But hey, I'm glad that you are supporting your local Mom and Pop shop. BEtter your money goes to them that the evil conglomerates. ;)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the price with BRs are coming down dramatically -amazon has them for as low as $12-$19, in and email ad I got-so: Amazon needs to raise operating capitol, as getting lines of credit is near impossible/they are trying to 'promote' Blu Ray with heavy subsiding from SONY to increase sales/are trying to move stock out because sales have plateaued/or are dropping;
my guess-all 3

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
for quite a while I've noticed that the price of new releases on SD_DVD has been steadily creeping up..I used to get titles for 12.99 to a max of 14.99, now they are usually mostly priced 15.99 and up for the single edition..

I think this is a deliberate effort to make the overpriced Blu version seemed more palatable ..but this new pricing is pushing me to purchase very few new releases, now I wait for the inevitable sales a few months later......

The price of Blu still is too high IMO, you can get a few deals on Amazon, and costco has a few 12.99 titles, but these prices are usually for Catalog titles that have been around for ages and have been re-released many times in the past (and available in bargain bins); I'm only interested in New Releases, and prices for these are still to expensive....

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I would only add that, on this particular title, it's a pretty safe bet that Sony will be revisiting it with a deluxe version down the road. I mean really, a James Bond movie that isn't stacked with features? Taking that into account, this 2-disk release is a bit of a ripoff.

Personally I'm going to wait for the inevitable double-dip. This movie wasn't good enough to buy twice.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
What nonsense! There is no such thing as an "overpriced" DVD anymore than there are "overpriced" automobiles, furniture, clothes or restaurants.

The retailer charges what he thinks the market will bear and the consumer has the option of complying or taking his business elsewhere if the pricing is not to his satisfaction.

Is a Valentino or Versace haute couture gown "overpriced" at $5,000? Not to a Nicole Kidman or a Julia Roberts but to a secretary at a law firm, yes, it is. It's all relative.

Personally, I rarely, if ever, pay full price on any DVD. I shop around for the best deal but still, I will admit if I want a particular title really really bad, I'll pay anything! But hey, that's just me!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I know I have a choice when deciding which version of a DVD to purchase. I also know that if I shop around and just have a little patience that I might find the same product for a bit less elsewhere. I decided to buy the "fancy" edition of Quantum mainly because I'm a sucker for fancy packaging and better artwork and, of course, the extras. Thirty bucks is steep price to pay for one movie and I certainly was conscious of that fact when I walked over to the cashier. Ultimately I'm glad I have this disc even if it is pricey - I just think that even at $22.99 it is still a ripoff considering the quality of the extras.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I know Amazon is one of the few businesses to have GAINS during the Christmas season. Pretty sure they are not hurting so bad that they cant get cash to operate.

Nevermind about the Sony bashing.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas
I usually hold on from buying it on release so I tend to do the same sometimes with a few exceptions though.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck

Why buy more DVDs when you have so many unwatched? I dont understand this. I don't go grocery shopping if the cupboard is full!

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Thomas T, I agree !
I do most of my shopping on Amazon and with a little patience, one can get a really good deal.
I actually saw the entire Andy Griffith series on sale for $107.00 for about 6 hours,but just missed buying it before it went back to it's usual $153.00.

I check Amazon 3 or 4 times a day for any sudden specials, but when my favorite show "The Fugitive" comes out I buy it immediately no matter the price.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Years ago I too used to be eager to run around on Tuesdays snagging the hot DVD titles for the best deals. Then I joined Netflix and pretty much my DVD purchases went down to maybe one a month. Maybe the new titles don't always show up on Tuesday, but they do show up eventually. Maybe the price of DVDs have to creep up as the market does sway over to rental thanks to Netflix and RedBox vs. retail.

Far as the price of DVDs being outrageous - figure out how much it used to cost you to buy a pan and scan VHS 15 years ago. How much was that laserdisc for Hard-Boiled? It was $125 bucks. Don't cry that you're being ripped off at $30 for a DVD.

You pay $10 to see that movie in the theater and get nothing after it's over. You want to watch it again - pay up!

While you might have felt ripped off that the second DVD was barely loaded with special features, you should have read a review of it in order to at least check out the bonus feature lengths.

And like some other people, my decision to be more of a renter than buyer also is a space factor. when I'm in a store eyeballing a DVD, I do ask where will this box will be stored.

While new titles on Blu-ray might be pricey, I'm seeing plenty of catalog titles for under $15 including the Kubrick films and Enter the Dragon. Just like DVD, if you don't like the price - just wait a while. They do go down.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Patience is the key word here. DVD's have never been so cheap! A DVD comes out at whatever price, I wait six months or so, &....buy it for £5 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks