What's new

IFC-400PCU cable for Camcorders (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I purchased a Canon Vixia camcorder last month. Great medium-sized camera (I hate tiny cameras) , lots of cool features and whatnot and rather nice-looking with that lens hood. I look like a professional videographer with that thing! Only thing is, this is the first time I've used a video camera that records onto SD cards as opposed to a disc or tape so, suffice it to say, I'm a little overwhelmed. It doesn't help that I'm not much of a "tech geek" so to speak so I'm not very familiar with things like editing software or how to transfer video from a card to a PC. I've got a bit of a long road ahead.

Canon isn't making it easier on me by trying to sell me accessories that seem to be grossly overpriced. I needed a light so I purchased their VL-5 Video Light accessory - $96 for essentially a toy that weighs nothing and isn't very bright. Now, I don't know if I actually need a USB cable (what they call an IFC-400PCU) to transfer video to my PC but Canon's wording on their manual seems to suggest such a cable is required. Others tell me I can simply insert the SD card into the corresponding slot on the PC but since I'm not technically savvy, as I mentioned, I fear I won't know what I'm doing (or will do it incorrectly) so I sort of want to do it the way Canon is telling me. I downloaded a program they said I needed to save my videos to, which requires the IFC-400PCU USB cable.

I've already made this post long enough so, bottom line, is there a similar cable I can pick up somewhere that would do the same job as the IFC-400PCU but doesn't cost $64.99?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks