What's new

I took a job offer in Kuwait today [need advice] (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
Thanks again for all of the responses.
To answer someone's question, I got the job through an ad in the Dallas Morning News. DFW is a very-depressed area for IT/Telecom.
If you want to see the company website it is /http://www.csakuwait.com/csa_home.htm
Two other questions I had:
1. How do I hook up my Sony Playstation to a TV in Kuwait?
2. How bad is it going to be going through customs? Will I get hit with a tax on everything I bring with me like my digital camera, portable CD Player, books, etc?
Thanks again

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I can't answer your TV question since I don't know what system they use over there, but there will probably be plenty of American electronics available in the PX's and military posts.

As far as customs goes, it varies greatly on the area and the individual checking your bags. I find they tend to be quite lenient with military/government related Americans going through customs. I've come into Germany many times with up to 120 DVDs in my bags and they just waived me on through. I seriously doubt that they will charge you anything for an obviously personally-owned Playstation, Discman and DVDs/CDs.

But, of course, don't quote me on that. :b

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I spent a few months in the Air Force at Ali Al Saleem, and I think you'll probably have a good time there. As has been mentioned before, Kuwait is a great deal friendlier than Saudi, and the contractors seem to be well received. The base I was at was tent city, but they had done several things to make it a bit more permanent. Of course, if you're living off base, you won't really have to deal with those types of living conditions. As mentioned, this will be a great opportunity to purchase gold, jewelery, electronics, software, and other luxuries.

I found the food to be quite good, and they have a great deal of American outlets. But, as with any country I've been at, I recommend taking in the Kuwaiti culture if you take a liking to it. Their nation, with the heavy division between TCNs and Kuwaitis, is pretty fascinating.

Although I would be concerned about the current tension over there, I wouldn't mind going as a single guy right now. By all rights, you should be able to set aside a huge amount of money without tightening your belt at all.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I agree with Alex wholeheartedly. A chance to live in a foreign country with great pay? I wouldn't turn that down, and I didn't. :)
Honestly, if you stay over there a couple of years you can save alot of money. I've been at this contractor job in Germany for almost 3 years, and although I am in a particularly high paid position, I have been saving almost $50,000/year here. And that's with no real restrictions on my spending (DVDs, books, computer stuff , eating out, etc). It's very nice and I count myself very fortunate to be in this position.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
How does one research/locate these kinds of foreign assignment jobs anyway? While I am fortunate to be employed right now, with the lousy state of the IT industry right now, it helps to have a back-up plan. I find Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to be rather scary right now due to the tensions between the USA and Iraq ... but there must be some other places that need IT people.

So any suggestions of Web sites to check out, publications to read, people to know, etc.?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Kuwait City has more to offer than one would think - I honestly couldn't believe it while I was there. Alot of the Kuwaitis' are VERY VERY RICH. They drive around in luxury cars/SUVS.
One word: oil. Right?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
One word: oil. Right?
Yep. An amazing part is that the percentage of the population of Kuwait that are actually Kuwaiti is very small. They are far and away outnumbered by TCNs (40/60 split or something) So, for all the oil money they have, it is divided among a smaller part of the population.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Try the websites for Northrupp/Grumann (who recently acquired TRW, making them the largest contrating company in the world), Boeing, Lockheed/Martin, or Harris, among wothers. They usually have job listing and such.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jason
Just wanted to see if you did indeed go ahead and take this job offer up or not.
Sad news today from Kuwait, and it's right next to where your workplace is/will be (not sure when you were going to Kuwait).
American slain in Kuwait
I was just in Kuwait this summer, up until September 1st.
I stopped at this same intersection near camp Doha where the terrorist attack took place today 50+ times while I was there. This really makes you think...
Good luck Jason

Todd_B

Second Unit
This thread popped into my head when I caught this horrible news this morning :frowning:
I'm just stopping in here to say best of luck to you Jason and be safe.
Todd B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks