What's new

i think most shows will eventually be released on dvd (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
even ones with lots of music rights, like happy days.

the bottom line is that there are 2 alternatives.

one, is that they sit in the vaults, deteriorate, and no one makes any profit.

two, is that they realize that making some profit is better than none at all, and they release it.

in the meantime, i simply enjoy what they already have released, which will keep me busy for a long, long, LONG TIME.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Unfortunately most studios are in the "why bother" mode, or the "lets not risk losing money after going to the trouble of remastering the shows" mode.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
The problem is, in order for the second option to be viable, they have to figure out a way to make "some" profit, as opposed to the costs involved (especially the music rights) being higher than the expected income.

There is a third option n some cases - releasing the shows with the music changed - but that tends to go over like a lead balloon.

Of course, "eventually" streaming costs will decrease to the point where they can just bypass DVDs and make the episodes online only, and nobody will care that much. Remember the TV commercial with the man checking into a cheap motel, and finding out that every room has "every movie ever made, 24 hours a day"? Lost films notwithstanding, how close are we to that?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Richard V said:
Unfortunately most studios are in the "why bother" mode, or the "lets not risk losing money after going to the trouble of remastering the shows" mode.
i think they are coming closer to us, actually. look what they did for the fugitive. and there have been other shows that were put put poorly at first, only to get good releases later.

i think the evidence shows that the studios are starting to fall in line with what the consumer wants - complete shows as they were originally aired. if we get some extras, like interviews - a little icing on the cake.

we are finally getting bonanza, and from what i have read, it is a very good release. the last years should be done within the next 2-3 years.

i grant you that some shows will make more profit than others. which has a lot to do with the ORDER in which shows are being released.

but there doesnt seem to be a week go by when we dont hear about some new show coming out. there is a current thread about sugarfoot. that was not a hugely popular show, and yet it is coming out.

once the studios get caught up, they will release shows that were once in the "why bother mode".

including the very popular happy days, with the original music.

i can recall a few years ago someone saying that beaver was not popular enough. and i recall telling the poster that they must not have lived at that time. it was very popular, and a sure bet to come out.

guess what - it came out.

i even think we will get the mrfd first seasons, despite the emotional issues currently attached to it.

personally, i dont see streaming as taking the place of dvds. the people that are buying dvds (like me) want to OWN their stuff. i dont want to be dependent on what might be playing, etc. i want to be able to watch episode 45 of the abc show whenever i want to.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
jimmyjet said:
personally, i dont see streaming as taking the place of dvds. the people that are buying dvds (like me) want to OWN their stuff. i dont want to be dependent on what might be playing, etc. i want to be able to watch episode 45 of the abc show whenever i want to.
I'd rather have a physical copy myself. I don't like this "Virtual Ownership" aka "Cloud". I've already heard "Horror Stories" anout a title getting released, someone buys that title, reads a chapter or two, then the next day they discover that title has been yanked because of some "Rights" Issue (They do get a refund). AFAIC No Way! If I purchase a DVD Set and it's delivered to my house it's MINE, if it gets "Recalled" Too Bad, I HAVE my copy, and if the Studio wants it they can have it, after they pry my cold, dead fingers from around it!.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL - me, too. i couldnt have said it any better than that !!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
personally, i dont see streaming as taking the place of dvds. the people that are buying dvds (like me) want to OWN their stuff.
I think that eventually it'll be similar to the current state of the music industry. Today, most people download music but there's still a minority that buy vinyl records. In the future, I think that most people will download or stream movies but there will be a chunk of people (myself included) that want to own a real item.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
you make a good point. if you are born into the "streaming society", and have never experienced the dvd, one may not have the same desire to own it.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
One also needs access to a sorce that streams fast enough. My internet is still on a DSL line. Even the TV next to the router occassionally chokes. The DVD's and Blurays I have don't. They also have 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

The Charter guy said he could hook me up for $11,000. He also said, if he was in my place, he'd get direct TV and go to red box alot instead. I'll see how it is when fiberoptic cable gets to my area. Until then, I'll go with physical media most of the time.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TravisR said:
I think that eventually it'll be similar to the current state of the music industry. Today, most people download music but there's still a minority that buy vinyl records. In the future, I think that most people will download or stream movies but there will be a chunk of people (myself included) that want to own a real item.
But there is a BIG difference between downloading and streaming. With downloading, you 'own' it when you put it on your hard drive (or device). As with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays, once you've acquired it, it won't be taken away (yes, I know there are a few types of downloads that require keys or connections for use, but those are a small proportion). With streaming, you are reliant on the provider.

So people downloading stuff are very similar to people purchasing shiny discs. It is a different set of people who stream. Streaming is more closer to a music service (like Sirius). Even today, the majority of people still 'acquire' content

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
They're not going to release anything unless they think it will make a profit. Bottom line. What the studios and networks will hopefully do is stop worrying about the dying DVD market and start getting their archives ready to be streamed and downloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks