What's new

I need help/suggestions for HTPC (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I'm a newbie so I was hoping for some advice about what I need. I already have a region free Pioneer DV-343 for playing NTSC dvds. I'm bulding my htpc strictly for pal playback.
So far I have an Aureal Sq2500 soundcard with a coaxial output for the audio and I plan to get a Hollywood plus decoder card for the video.
Is a dvd drive all I need to add to this? If so I'd like to hear some recommendations for a good player. If not, please let me know what else I might need.
Btw, I'm running the video output to a 36" Toshiba via s-video.
Thanks for any help.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Mick,
The Hollywood + card already has an audio digital output port. I would run the audio out of that instead of your soundcard.
Once you get the H+ card installed, you're all set.
Just a question, though. If your Pioneer is region free, why do you need an HTPC for PAL playback? Couldn't you just run them all on your Pioneer?
Good Luck.
Scott

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Thanks Scott. To answer your question, my Pioneer will ouput pal but it will not convert it to ntsc. I did have a crappy apex to do that but I hated it and sold it. From what I've read the best way to convert pal is to use an htpc, since all the stand-alone dvd players that do this are cheap and glitchy and a decent stand-alone video converter is out of my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks